Harmonic Balancer Question....

-

kend

Reaction score
I have a '73 340 that I'm building and I'm trying to get a new stock type balancer so I ordered one from Rock Auto and it's a Power Bond PB 1004 N (Advance Auto shows the same number as a replacement). My original balancer is thicker by about 3/8" and I'm wondering if this will have any effect on the balance as this is an externally balanced engine. The original has "USE ON CAST CRANK 340 ONLY" cast into the face but the PB replacement does not. This is supposed to be a replacement balancer and I'm going to have everything balanced anyway so, will it work?

internal balance only.

Brand:PowerBond

Manufacturer's Part Number:pB1004N

Part Type:Harmonic Balancers

Product Line:PowerBond Premium OEM Replacement Harmonic Balancers

Summit Racing Part Number:PBB-PB1004N

UPC:09317010000021

Engine Balance:Internal

Safety Rating:Not SFI-approved

Degree Markings:Yes

Outside Diameter (in):7.100 in.

Harmonic Balancer Material:Nodular iron

Harmonic Balancer Construction:Elastomer

Harmonic Balancer Finish:Black painted

Mounting Hardware Included:No

I shoulda thought of that....Thanks!

If you internally balance it, you can use a neutral balancer as well as a neutral converter.
Lighter rods would help too. I can't think of any off hand, but there are very few options for aftermarket external balanced 340's, which use a cast crank.

Any time you start swapping rotating parts around, you need to rebalance. It would just be best if you could internally balance without Mallory Metal by using lighter pistons and rods. It's possible with a 360, so a 340 would be easier because it has less external counterweight at each end.

I appreciate all the help guys, I was trying to keep it close to stock appearing but I may have to go with that balancer. Thanks

If you internally balance it, you can use a neutral balancer as well as a neutral converter.
Lighter rods would help too. I can't think of any off hand, but there are very few options for aftermarket external balanced 340's, which use a cast crank.

I tried that with my motor and he still had to use the cast balancer or add a LOT of mallory to compinsate.

^^^^^ I tried that with my motor and he still had to use the cast balancer or add a LOT of mallory to compinsate.

internally balance a 360 last year....used kb107 pistons...507 gram plus the pin 132 grams...H beam rods that weight 640 grams....crank still took 2 small slugs of mallory metal in the front and rear counter balances..

get a 1968-1971 340 steel crank and it is internally balanced, lighter than stock pistons and it is better

-
Back