Harmonic Balancer Recommendations

-

1969GTS340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What are the recommendations on harmonic balancers for a 69 340?
Mine has a dry rotted rubber seal. I've heard it's possible to send it
out for rebuilding which I'd be interested in hearing anyone success story on
the rebuild. Verses the after market balancers? I'm building a mainly street
driven engine that will see a few trips down the local 1/8 mile.

I had mine rebuilt. It's a cast crank 440. I forgot the name, but if you Google harmonic balancer rebuilders, it was a company out west. Utah maybe. Very happy with the work.

I'm under the impression that SFI rated balancers are made to higher standards and have used Pioneer 872037 on my race car for years even though an SFI version is not required.
I don't have any experience with the other Pioneer balancers/dampers but have included them in the search for reference.

Summit is showing the wrong image for 872037.
Attached is the correct image.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...small-block-la?N=4294943542+400297+4294951399

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!rMFIhbNCUfUBSK!oqubYg~~_1.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 246
Thanks guys. I requested a quote to rebuild my damper from the Damper Doctor in CA. I found a lot of good reviews about their work and am curious about the cost comparison to buying a replacement. I'd still like to get a better understanding of the advantages in the new dampers available as well.

You can get a new Pioneer damper for $70-80 on eBay (PN DA-318; less than the rebuild) and get a new Pioneer SFI unit for around $200 or less (PN872037). These are are for the pre-72 internal balance 340's. I would not expect your usage to put a lot of high stress on one; just needs to be reliable.

Fluidampr brand usually requires pulley spacing which I'm sure you don't want to get into at your level. Curious how much is it to "rebuild" your current dampner.

1969 and earlier have timing slot on passenger side. 1970+ and all aftermarket units I have seen on driver side

My new balancer just came in today. I ordered the one Locomotion recommended and I am very impressed with the quality of it. The picture above just doesn't do it justice.

A good stock replacement or rebuilt stock unit will be all you will ever need.

A good quality SFI rated unit! You'll never have to change/worry about it again.

-
Back