Harmonic balancer

-

kork340

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm putting a 68 318 in my 72 Duster. I changed timing cover and water pump so they work for my radiator. My question is on the harmonic balancer.
The one that matches my new timing cover looks like a cast crank balancer, and the old one looks like a forged crank balancer, going by the pics in How to HotRod Small Block Mopars. Does it matter, as long as my pulleys line up? Or do I need one for a forged crank? Also I read a post where it was said that when the dots on the timing gear are at 6 and 12 that #6 cylinder is at TDC, not #1, but with mine set up there, #1 is up at TDC and the timing mark on the harmonic balancer is at 0 on the timing cover. Is this right? This is the first 318 I've ever rebuilt. I never had to rotate the crank around from when I installed the timing set, like the other post stated. Am I in right?
Thanks.

whatever the balncer that was on that engine originally is what you use. you cannot swap a cast/forged balancer. they must go with the type of crank. these are your engine harmonics your talking about.

Thanks redfastback, that's what I figured. However, the balancer off of the 68 is no good. It is cracked at the keyway. So what are my options for a balancer?
Thanks again.

kork

You will have too get another balancer for internally balanced engines, either a stock one, or an after market one. Any one from a 318 ,340, 273 will work. What side are your timming marks on,???. 68 engines are stock with internal balance (forged cranks).
hope this helps.

Dave C.

My marks were on the right, but I changed timing covers and water pump. Now they're on the left so will work with my radiator. So I can use one off of any 318? I just pulled one off of a 71 and the timing mark lines up with #1 up on TDC, so am I good to go? It looks the same as the one off of the 68, for a forged crank. I know all LA 318's are internally balanced that's why I thought any balancer off of a 318 would work.
Thanks.

-
Back