harness swap from a 71 /6- 340 ?

-

Jims71duster

Reaction score
I got given a complete harness for a 71 340 duster new from year one. My duster was a /6, If I change it all from from to back will the 340 harness work or did I get the wrong one

I don't see why it wouldn't. (See this diagram: http://70duster440.com/EngineCompart70.PDF )

The oil sender wire on the S6 is a lot longer but that's about it.

I just got in from installing most of it but I am having trouble with the alternator part of it. My engine has the older 2 wire set up (black, green) and the wiring harness has the blue (ignition) one there as well but the alt. has no more tabs to slip it onto. I know that there are 3 wire alternators but was hoping someone could tell me how to adapt the wiring so that I would not have to buy another atl. thx for the response.

I believe the pre-'70 alternators with one field terminal were used with the old mechanical regulators. You can use the later 2-field-terminal alternators with the early regulator by grounding the extra terminal.

Assuming you're using an electronic voltage regulator (and you should be) then I think you're stuck with getting a later, 2-field-terminal alternator. Maybe someone else can chime in.

which voltage regularer connection does the harness include ?
The second field wire is just another 12V hot in run. Either set up will work but I would probably update to solid state rather than butcher a new harness which leads us back to my 1st question.

which voltage regularer connection does the harness include ?
The second field wire is just another 12V hot in run. Either set up will work but I would probably update to solid state rather than butcher a new harness which leads us back to my 1st question.

It has the triangle shaped plug for the voltage regulator and it does have the silver solid state regulator in it already. I got this car after someone else put the 383 in it but he only started it once so Im sure theres a few more things that will arise yet

then you'll need a square back alt. BEtter in the long run anyway.
good luck

then you'll need a square back alt. BEtter in the long run anyway.
good luck

yup, I went and picked up a square back alt,,,but,,there 2 blue wires that are tied into the spade connector (same plug )that goes onto the alternator, one of the blue wires comes out of the harness about 1 foot up the harness and has a spade connector on it (the wire is about 18in long after it leaves the harness) and it is on the opposite side of the car where the ballist is so I dont think it goes there,,,any ideas anyone,,im lost with it and the diagram is kinda confusing, theres blue wires everywhere lol

There are sposed to be one blue and one green on the alt. You have 2 blues together in one terminal ? One of them probably doubles back to a electric choke. They would do that rather that spice inside the tape like facory did things. There is a spot under the dash where 5 or so blue wires are all spliced together in the factory harness.

There are sposed to be one blue and one green on the alt. You have 2 blues together in one terminal ? One of them probably doubles back to a electric choke. They would do that rather that spice inside the tape like facory did things. There is a spot under the dash where 5 or so blue wires are all spliced together in the factory harness.

yup theres 2 on one terminal, It is a 340 harness could it be the stop idle solinoid? and if it is could I use it for my electric choke instead. and thanks for the help and response

-
Back