Has any one tried this yet

-

BobbyY

Old Mopar guy
Reaction score
I was slumming around on American Muscle's web site and yes I know it's a Mustang site and no respectable MOPAr Gearhead would be caught dead there but I saw this and it looks interesting. I currently have Flowmaster 44's and don't care for the sound. http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-varitune-muffler-stainless-25in.html . I don't mind popping the $130 each but if anyone else has tried them I would like to know.

Bobby

If you're after something like that, do a quick search for the mufflers for an 05 (or newer) Z06 Corvette. You're more or less after that switch on them.

These would be great for hot rod meets and car shows. Everybody like to come to those shows "rumbling" in with load pipes!! But many of us don't want to drive everyday like that.
Treblig

I had a customer with a chevelle that had a simalar design mufflers on his car .It had a flapper valve inside that worked like a raincap sort of way.The more your got on it the louder and throateir it got.Only problem was that you can hear the valve flapping and it sounded like a constant tick.

Just a comment. I have a 09 Chev 2500HD pick-up and shortly after I bought it I had a cat back exhaust system done on it with the two chrome tips looked killer but was it LOUD . After a couple of years I wanted the tips changed from straight out the back to exiting out the sides behind the rear tires and under the ends of the rear bumper. I took it to a different shop than I had used before, the owner asked me what muffler it was and I told him it was a Flow master and he said they only use them on there race cars and would recommend a Magna flow instead and said it would be milder sound at cruising speeds on the free way so another 500 $ later it was done and he was right, at 70 mph you can just here a sweet rumble instead of the annoying drone from my previous setup . This is my experience. So good luck with your project Later Bob

Magnaflow's sounds like ricer POS's... we had a set on one of our S/S Hemi Dart street cars and it sounded like a POS chevy... Never buy them again...

I would look into the Dynomax VT's.

Thanks but for $600 a pair for a couple of used Z06 mufflers and another $150 for a controller,I guess if the solenoids are part of the muffler you could use a switch. Think I'll hold off.

We do it from inside the car with VOE mufflers.
I like the BBK idea. Brilliant and relatively cheap too. With convertors, I believe the dB change because mine are 10 dBA louder at 3500 rpm and around 7 dBA or so when idling, not under load. Those BBK's really snarl on that Mustang.

Attachments

• offsetoffsetdave2Copy of DSCN0062.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 359
  • offsetsmalloffsetspringdaveDSCN0068.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 355
Wow, I must say i'm not impressed by BBK's new technology. So you have to crawl under the car to wrench a bolt head in or out to plug or unplug the muffler? X 2? Also realize your still not getting pure straight pipe flow as some of the exhaust is still going out the original pipe. Which is the case for virtually every cutout/variable noise muffler out there.

Wow, I must say i'm not impressed by BBK's new technology. So you have to crawl under the car to wrench a bolt head in or out to plug or unplug the muffler? X 2? Also realize your still not getting pure straight pipe flow as some of the exhaust is still going out the original pipe. Which is the case for virtually every cutout/variable noise muffler out there.

...I know you have something else in mind! Give us some hints on your setup!

Well, we have patent pendings on a new muffler and cutout design based on guiding the exhaust flow rather then blocking it and forcing it to find its path of least resistance, aka the butterfly. We hope to have some demos out by the beginning of next year, to see enthusiasts reaction. I will say we can give 100% pure open exhaust or pure, through a quiet muffler flow, aka Johnny Law/neighbor quiet, or anywhere in between, with virtually no flow restriction/ turbulence when open. Obviously when run in quiet mode, the muffler has to have some restriction to quiet the exhaust, but when you need it quiet you probably aren't quite as concerned about flow.

Well, we have patent pendings on a new muffler and cutout design based on guiding the exhaust flow rather then blocking it and forcing it to find its path of least resistance, aka the butterfly. We hope to have some demos out by the beginning of next year, to see enthusiasts reaction. I will say we can give 100% pure open exhaust or pure, through a quiet muffler flow, aka Johnny Law/neighbor quiet, or anywhere in between, with virtually no flow restriction/ turbulence when open. Obviously when run in quiet mode, the muffler has to have some restriction to quiet the exhaust, but when you need it quiet you probably aren't quite as concerned about flow.

they ain`t big enough!!!!!!!!

-
Back