Has anybody done this before?

-

69bronzeT5

My wife's car is faster.
Reaction score
I have a '73 Duster with a 318. I'm putting 340 stripes on it because I think there really cool. I went to my local dealership today and in the Service/Parts section, they had a 340-4bbl pie pan for sale (brand new) and it was 20% off. I'm thinking about getting it. So my question is...has anybody ever dressed up their engine to look like something else and do you guys think it's wrong?

I think it is only wrong if you are trying to pass it off as something it is not. If you just like the looks of the 340 cars and want your car to look like one and are open that it is an original 318 car...I say go for it. Most people modify their cars to suit their tastes, very few cars are perfectly 100 % original. I Installed a 426 crate hemi in my 67 coronet R/T convertible a few years ago. When I showed the car, I had a display sign with it that stated it was a clone.

I don't think there is any thing wrong with doing that unless you try and sell it as a 340 car when it is not. Be up front with people about it and you should be good.

My Dart (shows below) is an original /6 car. I put those scoops on it, and I'm going to do a bumblebee stripe (I think) because I love the looks of it. It currently has a 318 in it, but who knows if one day I'll upgrade to a 360, or to a big block. Mind you I DID cut the holes in the hood to make them somewhat functional, but I took the 340 badges off the sides. But when people ask I tell them its a 318, and nowhere on my car does anything say 340.

Well I don't plan on selling my Duster for a long time. I just like the 340 stripes and I do really like the look of the 340-4BBL pie pan the dealership has and it's cheap too. It'll still be a 318 car but I won't be telling people it's a 340. Do you think I'll get flack for putting a 340 pie pan on a 318?

You'll get flack, but who cares? I agree that there's nothing wrong with it as long as you're not lying about it when you try to sell it.

I put a 340 in a 67 Dart, but made it look like a hi-po 273. I'm not trying to fool anyone. I just like how it looks.

We discussed clones...I'm mainly talking about making an engine looking like something else.

Ah ok, I stand corrected :-D

As for that, if people ask, tell'em what it really is... other than that I dont see it being a real problem.

My 73 Dart Sport was done just like that (sorry, no pics). Didn't have the air cleaner pie plate, just a sticker, but had the body stripes and 340 decal. Didn't buy it that way and when I sold it, made sure the new owner knew it was "cloned" that way, but still maintained the 318 motor. I believe ChallengerGary here can make the stripes and have 318 call outs, which will make it look like it was installed by the factory and keep it "honest". Personally, my next car will have the body side stripping (I've narrowed my wish list to Demon, Duster, Dart Sport) even if I buy it without it...

You'll get flack, but who cares? I agree that there's nothing wrong with it as long as you're not lying about it when you try to sell it.

I put a 340 in a 67 Dart, but made it look like a hi-po 273. I'm not trying to fool anyone. I just like how it looks.

Or you could be just the opposite like me. My 70 swinger has a 408 crate and still wears the 340 badges on the scoops and has a 340 pie plate. Just never got around to changing anything. I would love to have 408 badges and pie tin but I havn't seen anything like that, sure would be cool though.

Or you could be just the opposite like me. My 70 swinger has a 408 crate and still wears the 340 badges on the scoops and has a 340 pie plate. Just never got around to changing anything. I would love to have 408 badges and pie tin but I havn't seen anything like that, sure would be cool though.

Sleeper! That is how I want my Dart to be. One day I will put that 4.00 crank in there and I won't change the badges. But that is just me.

Sleeper! That is how I want my Dart to be. One day I will put that 4.00 crank in there and I won't change the badges. But that is just me.

IF it has 340 badges I would think its anything but a sleeper. Just ask the chevy guys

Do what YOU want.....

As long as it is not obviously rediculous like a slant six with 360 badges you won't catch too much guff about it.

No matter what you do or don't do as far as modifications, you will always have someone criticizing your car, and believe me, it could be a 100 point resto with primer paint splashes and chalk inspection marks, paint dabs and factory simulated rust in all the right spots and still, some jackass will point out a flaw.

yea, my 440 dart is really a mini-van but dont tell no-one...like cudaspaz says; no matter what there will always be some butlick that will hack on your car but just remember this, its your car,you bought it, you pay taxes on it, and what ever you do with it is up to you, my opinion is this; if its a 6-pak or hemi car or a real factory muscle car then try to keep it that way, dont disgrace them [ i know of some real horror stories] but there is nothing wrong with imitating or cloning a car to make it look like something else whether it be performance or cosmetic modifications as long as you dont try to pass it off as the real thing or sell it as such...this is a car hobby/sport/money pit [lol] and its supposed to be fun and kool----so dont worry what other peterheads think if you like it then do it, whats it hurt? The greatest compliment to anyone or thing is imitation..look at DOLLY PARTON, we all know those tits aint real, but man they sure look good and she wears them well....should we all get together and hold her down and remove them and tell her she's been bad? NOT!! [maybe the hold her down and tell her she's being bad part...LOL] SO PUT THE STRIPES,SCOOPS,HEMI MUFFLERS,BADGES,EMBLEMS,SPOILERS,WHEELS or whatever...if you like it thats all that matters ,and if someone else doesnt tell them they dont have to look at it and to go away..........I am done now

Y'know...on the issue of some 'fakes', like in the Dolly Parton sense...I'd think that as long as I can touch them, they're real enough...:downtown:

Heck, most people won't even notice. I have a 360 in mine with 360 on the rear quarters and people still ask me at shows if that is a 318.:angry7: So, unless you say something most will never know any different. The 318, 340 and 360 look alike anyway.

Heck, most people won't even notice. I have a 360 in mine with 360 on the rear quarters and people still ask me at shows if that is a 318.:angry7: So, unless you say something most will never know any different. The 318, 340 and 360 look alike anyway.

When I had the slant in mine, people (without seeing it) asked if it was a 440 because it was noisy from an exhaust leak.
Even now with the 318, I still get lots of people saying '340?' and a lot saying '440?' (obviously they don't recognize the distributor being in the back). Heck some even ask if its a Hemi, and are serious about it.

Do what YOU want.....

As long as it is not obviously rediculous like a slant six with 360 badges you won't catch too much guff about it.

Well that shoots down my idea. It would work until I lift the hood and they see 2 cycliders are missing and the remaining 6 are all in a row.

When I had the slant in mine, people (without seeing it) asked if it was a 440 because it was noisy from an exhaust leak.
Even now with the 318, I still get lots of people saying '340?' and a lot saying '440?' (obviously they don't recognize the distributor being in the back). Heck some even ask if its a Hemi, and are serious about it.
lol... I was at a red light one day a guy next to me asked, "Hey, that thing gotta Hemi in it?" I couldn't do nothing but laugh. I thought it was funny.

Hey if thats what you want or like, DO IT! If you get ready to sell it, just pull off the pie pan, and nail it up on your garage wall. It'll bring back fond memories of the car for years to come.

I have a '73 Duster with a 318. I'm putting 340 stripes on it because I think there really cool. I went to my local dealership today and in the Service/Parts section, they had a 340-4bbl pie pan for sale (brand new) and it was 20% off. I'm thinking about getting it. So my question is...has anybody ever dressed up their engine to look like something else and do you guys think it's wrong?
Have you ever heard the saying ?:Drive it like you own it :You bought it ,so do what you want with it.Improving the motor to a 340 is a great idea,and if that,s what you want go for it!#,s matching cars with correct everything are mostly for shows,which is great,but I like to DRIVE my cars cause I work on them all the time and appreaciate them more.My 2 cents.

-
Back