has anybody

-
I heard that Bob Glidden never used engine stands to build engines because the block would actually warp.
He would actually build his engines on a table.
I don't know if it was a psychological thing or if the billionth of an inch deflection really mattered.

It's not a billionth of an inch...most inline sixes won't allow you to insert the cam on new cam bearings if it's hung from an engine stand.

Cranks can and do warp. I doubt that they develop "flat spots" from laying on the ground (if cast iron was that soft, the engine mount ears would eventually slide off!), but they'll certainly end up out of true.

I hang all my cranks (Leaving them standing up is just asking to have one knocked over. I'll lay it down before I risk knocking it over), and I store all my rotors/flywheels/etc flat.

Yup. Stand them up.Like SS said - you'll see it on a crank grinder.

Sorry guys but I'm calling BS, its an old wives tale. If this were the case then I better go throw out about 2 dozen cranks that are on the shelf on their sides in boxes cause they all must be no good by now. Were talking about a piece of machined steel here... not some flimsy plastic part or something. Not looking to offend just my .02

Yes, it does. Happened to me. Got an OLD crank from a machine shop years ago, turned in a 340 steel to weld up a rod journal and the guy just sold me a old std one he had for 20 years in the back for chump change. I had it polished (free) and torqued it down. Didnt budge..asked the crank guy WTF and he said give it a week and sure enough it rotated like butter after a week of sitting under tension in the block. Crank warpage...And if you store a block on a stand, there is a chance that itll flex,although slim. I have a stroker crank that has been in a box on its side for a few years, will do the same, saddle it up, torque it to 75%, wait a week and them the final torque. Better safe than cracked.

I believe that this originated with early engines, such as flathead Fords, that had fewer main bearings and were made of softer materials. A 2 main bearing 4 cyl or 3 main V8 crank might very well warp if stored on it's side for any length of time. A modern forged crank is probably less likely to. However why take a chance? I was always taught to store them vertically, preferably hanging and I see no reason to take any chances.
A /6 crank laid on it's side for storage might very well warp.

Ever been in a serious crank shop? You won't see any cranks lying on their sides they are all stood on the flange or hung in racks from the flange.
thats right! my crank shop,ashland grinding has them all standing on end asked him why said they warp over time.said never store a crank laying on its side.unless you never want to use it again.....

Yes, I have seen it on a crank grinder before. That's why you see machine shops store cranks either hanging in racks or standing upright on the floor. Brake rotors have been known to warp on the shelf if they are stored for long periods. Same kinda thing.
X2
When I worked for High Performance Parts Outlet we always hung are Crankshafts...I do the same or I leave them in the block,for storing purposes...
On the brake rotors. every time we replace customer brake rotors with new,we machine them first and you would be surprised how many are warped out of the box...

X2
When I worked for High Performance Parts Outlet we always hung are Crankshafts...I do the same or I leave them in the block,for storing purposes...
On the brake rotors. every time we replace customer brake rotors with new,we machine them first and you would be surprised how many are warped out of the box...

x2 better in the block or on ends...and if hung, they better be hung on the mains and evenly loaded.

My only point in this is that it would take a LONG time for the crank to warp on it's side up on a shelf.

It's not a billionth of an inch...most inline sixes won't allow you to insert the cam on new cam bearings if it's hung from an engine stand.

Cranks can and do warp. I doubt that they develop "flat spots" from laying on the ground (if cast iron was that soft, the engine mount ears would eventually slide off!), but they'll certainly end up out of true.

I hang all my cranks (Leaving them standing up is just asking to have one knocked over. I'll lay it down before I risk knocking it over), and I store all my rotors/flywheels/etc flat.

It was a bit of sarcasm, everyone knows the lengths that racers go to ''psyche'' out the competition.......
I also store cranks and cams vertically, as well as flywheels and rotors flat, it just makes good sense.
A few thou is all it takes to put things out of whack......

so I guess if it's sitting in an engine, installed in a car,not run in years, it's gonna bend too?

It's not being stored on end! :)

Pishta, Good reply!
I can't imagine any steel forging, or even a "lowly" cast piece taking a permanent "set".
Temporary maybe, and as you said, put it in place and allow it to "relax".
Didn't anyone ever tell you guys to "rotate" your stock.?.?.?(LOL)
Nonetheless, whether we buy into it or not, most of us I'm guessing won't leave a crank just lying flat somewhere...Me included (well,not for too long at least...may end up kicking it barefoot or something).

Oh, and the rotor thing... I always thought that was just a sales pitch to make more money on low quality Chinese parts... I've used lots of these things over the years on many vehicles, without surfacing, and never once gotten one that pulsed or anything.

This is scarey; so now I should go out to the shop and turn over my cams and cranks every day, like a biddy hen with eggs?

it's being supported in five diffrent spots, I worked at a machine shop for years, they hung them in racks and checked and straightened them before machining, same thing with camshafts, check and straighten BEFORE machining
so I guess if it's sitting in an engine, installed in a car,not run in years, it's gonna bend too?

It's not being stored on end! :)

-
Back