Has anyone gone to Cuba ?

-

grassy

Reaction score
Looks like I will be in Havana for a couple of days at the end of March.

Are there any "must see or go" places that I shouldn't miss ?

Thanks
Ian.

We are going to Cuba for the second time in 2 years on Feb.18 . Like last time we are going to the island of Cayo Coco. I don't know much about the mainland . Can't beat the weather,the beaches are real nice and the people are very friendly. Reasonably priced as well.

http://cayocococuba.net/

Hemi, But they do....in fact there is at least one tour I know of in Canada that is specifically for Americans wanting to go to Cuba....

Dreno, the beach thing becomes very old to us in a very short order hence our going to Havana where it isn't all inclusive...and there is something to do outsides the gate. However, we are doing a few days of R&R later in the week in a different part of Cuba..

Regardless, quality is relatively inexpensive there...

If it is snowing here in February...I will be thinking of you in the sun...:)

U.S. citizens are not permitted to travel to Cuba.

Yes they are, you just cant get there from the US, gotta go from Canada, Mexico, or somewhere else.

Been there, left out of Cozumel, Mexico, great food, great people, great beaches, great old cars, tons of pre 63 stuff, gotta find my pictures, I went there before digital cameras.

Havana is kinda run down and ancient looking but has everything you need,

Its only a matter of time before its open to travel from the US, probably when Castro dies, it will become a huge golf course and cruise destination.

rp,

there are already large resorts being built now in response to the ban being lifted soon...

Grassy, if you are a fisherman, some of the best largemouth bass fishing you can find anywhere. Giant fish, never researched but im sure the inshore/saltwater fishing is great as well.

Grassy, if you are a fisherman, some of the best largemouth bass fishing you can find anywhere. Giant fish, never researched but im sure the inshore/saltwater fishing is great as well.
Wow I didn't know that! I guess I know where I'm going to go for our 20th wedding anniversary! FISHING!!!:-D

I heard Dennis Rodman was interested................

Ian. been there and cant wait to go back. Stayed at Cayo Gularmo/ Cayo Cocco area. It was flippin great. As said. No water unless its bottled and don't go for the food..LOL. Its fine , never was hungry, love to try different stuff everywhere.............Hope you have a great time.

Loved it. Went to holgein twice, best beaches in the carribean. People are super nice

Check out a cigar factory while there

Heading to Holgein in Feb. Loved Verodero last year. Lots of old cars in great shape. I bring auto bulbs (1034 1157) to trade for rides. They can't buy replacements. Looking so forward to Cuba.

I hope the ban gets lifted soon. I would love to go down and just look at all the old cars, well... maybe babes on the beach too.
C

I hope the ban gets lifted soon. I would love to go down and just look at all the old cars, well... maybe babes on the beach too.
C

I'm tellin Julie.

Heading to Holgein in Feb. Loved Verodero last year. Lots of old cars in great shape. I bring auto bulbs (1034 1157) to trade for rides. They can't buy replacements. Looking so forward to Cuba.

So why can they not buy from Canada ?

BTW, good idea..

I don't think they are allowed to buy at all. The locals have a different type of money because of Castro and can only spend it in Cuba. Tourists have different currency too.
I have left tooth paste and brushes for the maids. They appreciate that more than our tourist currency and they cannot buy personal products. I guarantee you will meet the most friendly people in Havana. Have a great holiday.

I took my 2 boys there for a Christmas present 5 years ago. We all loved it! Boys were 15 and 16. Cost $5k all inclusive. Lots of bottled water. Brought cigars back for dad, he loved them! Boys didnt want to do the Havana tour, so I went with another single girl and another couple. We didnt do the "tour bus", we spoke to the bartender and got a personal tour on foot that was waaayyy cheaper. Tour of Havana was great! Stopped in Hemingways bar, had a Mojito and signed the wall. Lots and lots of cool old cars! Tons of beautiful architecture as well.

The maids/bartenders, any service staff would be happy with gifts. What I did was stop at a "Value Village" before we went and brought ballcaps, t-shirts, toothpaste and toothbrushes etc. They are VERY limited to what they have access to.
The only thing we did in Havana was the tour as it was 2 hour drive from our hotel.
They have "tourist currency" which is different than the "hometown" currency. Have fun, charge up the camera and take lotsa pics!

Oh here is the link to where we stayed
http://www.sunwing.ca/Cuba-Travel/Varadero/Breezes-Bella-Costa-By-Superclubs.asp#

4spd...do they take cdn or do I need to exchange... ?

hadn't thought of the clothes...do you give this stuff as tips or leave under pillow ?

OK, that makes sense because you can buy a lot of parts for their cars in Canada... and i guess Russia doesn't stock those parts..

We have two or three days in Havana so we hope see a lot...

If this works...perhaps we will take the kids next..as long as Mexico is having problems...

Hey Ian you need Yankee bucks$ Canadian $ won't work. I believe they trade /deal with China lots. Leave the tips on the bed. Not being rude here, but the women there javelin a hard time finding feminine products, so maybe the wife can bring extras.

-
Back