Has anyone had a car shipped from CA to the East coast

-
Seems that there are a few good shippers to choose from. I used DAS about 8 years ago. they were very easy to deal with and it was $650. That was for a running car dropped off at their facility in CA to NJ, dropped off at my house. At the time you could save about 150 or so on either end if you drop off/pick up at their loading facilities.

They all start and move them, even Horseless carriage does and they move some very high dollar rides

If you read the website of the guy I'm referring to, he specifically says that he winches the car on and off with no starting of the vehicle. Why say that when you aren't going to abide by it?

I've had one shipped from Cali to NY, guessing much further than Cali to FL? Forget but around $2000. The guy that posted $10k was from BRAZIL NOT the U.S........not even sure why he would even post that??????????

Just wondering what this might cost me. Another member has a vehicle for sale in CA. and I'm in Fl. We probably couldn't get much farther apart.

Hey neighbor,
I paid $1k to have a car trailered from S. California to Miami, door to door.
That was with a private party in an enclosed race car trailer and I paid a little more for that. I called a bunch of car transport companies in the Miami area first and most of the quotes were around $900. Call around. I was told that since there is so much traffic going between the east and west coast ports that the carriers in our area are very competitive.

Hey neighbor,
I paid $1k to have a car trailered from S. California to Miami, door to door.
That was with a private party in an enclosed race car trailer and I paid a little more for that. I called a bunch of car transport companies in the Miami area first and most of the quotes were around $900. Call around. I was told that since there is so much traffic going between the east and west coast ports that the carriers in our area are very competitive.

What year? Prices have gone up.

He does not specifically state that he does not drive them nor does he state that he only winches them off and on. He does in one section under Muscle car transport have this paragraph- enclosed transport for your Muscle Car or other vehicle in all lower 48 states

32 feet available up to 9000 pound capacity & 94 inch maximum height

No deposit required for domestic hauls

Load and unload by wireless remote control electric winch

He never says he does or does not

He does not specifically state that he does not drive them nor does he state that he only winches them off and on. He does in one section under Muscle car transport have this paragraph- enclosed transport for your Muscle Car or other vehicle in all lower 48 states

32 feet available up to 9000 pound capacity & 94 inch maximum height

No deposit required for domestic hauls

Load and unload by wireless remote control electric winch

He never says he does or does not

OK. My mistake. He doesn't say it on the website. He says it in his post on Moparts:

No driving your vehicle on & off the trailer

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...rt-latest-routes-posted-here.html#Post1799594

It's still not cool to say it and then not abide by it.

I've had one shipped from Cali to NY, guessing much further than Cali to FL? Forget but around $2000. The guy that posted $10k was from BRAZIL NOT the U.S........not even sure why he would even post that??????????

I said that was a lot further! LOL. I guess my point in posting was shipping car prices are all over the board, as shown by subsequent posts. MT:burnout:

If the car starts easily and runs, you might try https://www.uship.com/. These guys are truckers who are looking to fill blank spots on their trucks. You can choose, enclosed or open. Once you set up a shipment with them, expect to get a call from a trucker from the side of the road saying he can be at your place in x number of hours or minutes. Rates are reasonable, but you will need cash.

Pick up a copy of Hemmings Motor News. There are a lot of shipping companies advertising in there. At some point in time, I've dealt with most of the major shippers. The trucks are clean and enclosed, some hard sided, others have a fancy roll-up tarp. The drivers have been clean, friendly, and know their stuff. Check to see if they will handle inert vehicles, if your is one. Some will handle it, some can't.

You can also post it here and let people bid for it.http://www.uship.com/vehicles/

If the car starts easily and runs, you might try https://www.uship.com/. These guys are truckers who are looking to fill blank spots on their trucks. You can choose, enclosed or open. Once you set up a shipment with them, expect to get a call from a trucker from the side of the road saying he can be at your place in x number of hours or minutes. Rates are reasonable, but you will need cash.

Pick up a copy of Hemmings Motor News. There are a lot of shipping companies advertising in there. At some point in time, I've dealt with most of the major shippers. The trucks are clean and enclosed, some hard sided, others have a fancy roll-up tarp. The drivers have been clean, friendly, and know their stuff. Check to see if they will handle inert vehicles, if your is one. Some will handle it, some can't.

ARE YOU GUYS EFFING KIDDING ME? THESE BOZOS TOOK T H R E E MONTHS TO NOT GET ME MY CAR.
They under bid the price and then NO ONE would pick up the load.

They promised me that there WOULD NOT be a fee to remove it from transport vehicle-BUT THEY COULD NOT ENFORCE IT.

The Road Runner was picked up by a man that lied about being able to drive a stick shift vehicle-he could not drive it up the truck. You don't see that in the brochures or guarentees.

I hope Uship & their random shippers are better now than it was in 2011. What a piece of crap company to recommend to anyone-perhaps for people you hate.

People on this thread are offering ideas like 'fly in, drive home' {We are not all rich} get a trailer & haul it back {not everyone has the time to take off from work}
The OP asked about commercial transport.

Many of these posts list dollar amounts and even distance, but the lack of dates nullifies any value of that information when the entire business has become more expensive due to inflation and the cost of fuel.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/c/514/automotive/auto-shipping-companies

here are the basics from the the thread I recommended earlier:

http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-an-Auto-Transport-Company

How to Choose an Auto Transport Company
Edited by Tina, Flickety, Ben Rubenstein, Will and 49 others

When you make a reservation, do not book with another company as this will hinder your transport. When two companies are trying to move the same vehicle, most drivers will 'pass' on that vehicle and go to another.
Be careful not to go with a low-priced company!! Companies out there will give you a low price, but will not be able to find transport for your vehicle. All brokers use the same carriers. And they usually only move the highest paying bids.
This is NOT a guaranteed industry. This industry has many factors that may create delays; such as, waiting for earlier customers at pick up or delivery, weather, mechanical problems, and road constrictions for multi car carriers.

Find a company you are interested in and go directly to their website for a quote, or find a website that you can receive quotes from 5-10 companies. You must enter all information correctly to receive the most accurate rate. Most automatic quotes that you will receive are for operable, standard passenger vehicles. Cars with modifications (i.e. lift kits, lowered suspensions, bigger tires) and cars that do not run cost additional money for the size, weight and conditions for the carrier.

Do not automatically go with the lowest price. Many companies lure unsuspecting customers with the lowest bid. They then need to locate a carrier to physically move your vehicle. If the carrier does not accept the low price (and generally they don't), then your vehicle will not be moved. A lot of companies low-ball customers into using their company.

Research the transport companies you are considering. Learn from others experiences using the wealth of information available on the Internet. You can start with simply doing a Google search of the companies name, or by using a review website. Call multiple companies, ask friends if they have ever used a transport company. Review quotes, terms & conditions, reviews posted on the Internet, and . Make sure they have been in business at least a few years. This is a highly unregulated industry, and many less than desirable companies pop-up with new names every few years to strike unsuspecting customers again and again. Make sure the brokers are bonded and that the carriers they assign are licensed and insured. Whichever company you decide to go with, familiarize yourself with their dispute resolution procedures as well.

Make a decision about which company to use and book your transport. Make sure to have a confirmation via fax or email. Read everything a company sends you before signing it. Be aware that if you place a reservation via Internet, your e-signature is binding once you click send or submit.

Prepare your vehicle for transport by removing all personal or valuable items. Auto carriers prefer you have less than a quarter tank of fuel because it greatly decreases the weight they carry and the less weight they haul the better the fuel economy while driving from point to point. The less it costs them the less it will continue to cost you!! It is a good idea to wash vehicles before the inspection report at pick up. This ensures the car’s condition is readily recognized before transit. It's also a good idea to disable any alarm system before transport.

Make sure the carrier inspects your vehicle. At pick-up, the driver should inspect the car for any existing damage. They will footnote the damage on a VEHICLE CONDITION REPORT. They will ask you to sign it and will hand you a copy of the report for your records. Keep this with you until the car is delivered.

Inspect the car to ensure there are no additional dings, dents or scratches. This is your only opportunity to claim damage, so please take your time. If any damage is claimed, make sure the carrier signs the condition report and make sure you retain a copy for your records.

Be honest with the company you are contacting in regards to any personal items you have in your vehicle. Trucks are weight limited and are weighed in each state they travel across. They can be charged large fines in every state for being overweight. Also, most companies will not insure any items inside the vehicle. It is usually best to send your car empty on a truck.
All companies should do inspection reports of the vehicle at pick up and delivery. Be sure to document the mileage on the car before and after transport. In case of damage, it is your responsibility to make sure these reports are correctly updated to prove and ensure reimbursement for the damages.
Make sure you do not go with the lowest priced companies. Companies priced in the middle are the most reliable in our experience.
Check customer services, good customer service determines how well the company communicates with its customers, and if there is good communication between customers and the company, then it is less likely that problems will occur during shipping.
Always check and compare shipping rates, the initial quote that an auto transport company gives you is usually just a ballpark estimate of how much the entire service will cost, but some companies stick to their estimate. If you really need to know the final cost of delivery, then get a quote, and call companies that you received bids from. Some companies will tell you up front how much the entire ordeal will cost, with minimal extra charges. These rates will be higher than other initial quotes, but additional charges can severely affect the price you end up paying.
Read the contract completely before signing. Be wary of hidden fees that are listed in the small print on the contract.
Research a company very well, and make sure they are Members of the Better Business Bureau, Bonded, Licensed, and Insured.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not sure how to verify if a company is bonded.

Make sure that you put plenty of insulation in with your car when you pack it in the box, so it doesn't get damaged in shipping...

Make sure that you put plenty of insulation in with your car when you pack it in the box, so it doesn't get damaged in shipping...
Lol, but in all seriousness
If the shipping company is any good, they'd have wooden blocks bolted down to keep your car in place as well as straps just in case. Only thing that can affect you is the container doing flips.

Wow, this was an old thread. I didn't end up buying the car I needed shipped. I lucked out, and a guy I knew about local decided to sell.

-
Back