has anyone heard of 318 HP heads

-

myfirstmopar

Reaction score
has anyone heard of 318 hp heads?
these heads have 318 HP stamped on them. I was wondering if someone stamped it on there or are they from the factory?
thanks for your input

Nope. If it was a factory head it would be cast onto the head, not stamped into it. Since castings are raised they can't be duplicated to look original.

There were no special 318 heads. In the late 70s/80s Mopar did put 360 heads on 318 4bbls in cop cars. But they were just the origial larger chamber, larger port factory 360 heads. Dropped the compression a bunch doing that too.

I've heard the term used to describe the big valve heads (casting number 4323345) that showed up on 83-86 318 4-bbl cop cars. As stated earlier, these heads have bigger valves and a significantly larger combustion chamber volume than any of the other heads used on the 318.

Some refer to this casting as a 360 head because the valve sizes are the same as the 360. According to my documentation the '345 casting was only used on the 318 cop car. All of the 360 heads I have listings for show a significantly smaller combustion chamber.

I have seen nothing to explain the logic behind what Mopar did to create the 318-4 cop car engine. It does explain why the 318-4 is listed as having only a 10 hp advantage over the 318-2.

-
Back