Has anyone seen this oddball shock mount?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was dismantling the rear end of my 69 Dart to replace all the running gear with upgrades and to re-do the undercoating. The car came with a set of ancient Gabriel Hijackers on it. I took off the lower bolts and whacked the shocks with a rubber mallet to get the lower mounts loose. Once the rear end was supported I did the same thing with the upper mounts. So far so good, the shocks popped right off and went into the scrap pile.

When I start cleaning up the scrunge and old undercoating, I notice the two upper shock mounts are not the same. Here is the driver side mount which looks normal. I reassembled the washers and nut for comparison.

DSCN0339.JPG

Here is the upper mount on the passenger side. Note, it has some kind of weird larger collar (in the blue circle) at the rear of the stud, and the nut has a collar on it too.

DSCN0340.JPG

DSCN0340_LI.jpg

Has anyone seen this screwball arrangement before, and if so what is it all about? I'm trying to get the collar off so I can continue cleaning and get ready for the new shocks, but I can't get the collar off. I tried a monster set of 18" Channellocks to no avail, all I did was polish up the collar a bit. Any suggestions on how to get this off? I suppose I can try heating it or cutting a slit down it to open up with a cold chisel perhaps, but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

They came with the shocks years ago. It kept wide body shocks from rubbing the gas tank. They are getting hard to find. There are two styles. One uses the a spacer and one of the original stock washers. The other the washer is built on the spacer. I have some in a drawer and several here on shocks. Don't throw it away. Always guys looking for them. The shoulder nuts are what is hard to find.

106_0089.JPG

106_0092.JPG

Impact with a 3/4 socket on the nut in the trunk.

You what they say. Memory is the first to go.

That is more than likely a Chevy pin as they are bolt on on some of there cars and trucks. Get 1 from Roy and be happy. Kim

That spacer came with Gabriel Hijackers to space the top of the shock away from the crossmember so they don't hit when the car jounces. I put my first set on in 1975 and still use them on a car that I travel with - fully loaded with gear and people they are a real lifesaver. They still come with that spacer today.

Get 1 from Roy and be happy.

Yup. Working on it.

That spacer came with Gabriel Hijackers to space the top of the shock away from the crossmember so they don't hit when the car jounces.

I can see that, but what's odd is there was only one spacer, and there was no clearance issue on either side. We'll file this one under unraveling mysteries from 50 years of previous owners.

Are the current shocks HiJackers? They were wide at the top. If somebody replaced them with say a set of Monroe air shocks they wouldn't require the spacer, but if they couldn't get one off they probably just left it.

I thought the shocks were Hijackers, but I'll take a look to confirm. Photos and info tomorrow when I get home.

I have the same setup with the spacer on both sides. Having a fastback they are a PIA to get off. Where would I look to get the nuts that would work ?

DSC00455.JPG

DSC00457.JPG

DSC00458.JPG

-
Back