has anyone tried this disc brake conversion yet?

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
has anyone tried this disc brake conversion yet?

http://www.scarebird.com/

I priced out the parts new and can do the fronts for just about $250 and the rears for about $200 ...which beats the Wilwood price by about $400 and a ton less work

The front A body kit only works with 9" drums. If it worked with 10" drums I would have done it.

i have the brackets for sale, never used them....80.00 shipped they even fit older ansen wheels. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

they have the 10" kit coming out soon they say. Everything I researched on this says it should work fine ...but you never know till you try it (just dont want to be first ...LOL)

my car has discs on the front, but i think it would be quite fun to put discs on the back too... you think i could get that kit of modify it for the rear? im not sure if my car has 9 or 10" drums on the back, i need to find out because i need a wheel cylinder, i have no rear brakes...

do you have the 4inch or 4.5 inch axles? the only prob I see is if you have 4 inch bolt pattern you will need to conver to 4.5

I have the complete spindle assemblies from a 1975 Cordoba if anyone is interested. $30 for the pair + shipping.

I thought about scarebird but you have to
use your old parts and is a PITA. Her is what I went with and cost $751.

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/dodge...nversions.html

Cuda boot area 001.jpg

Cuda boot area 006.jpg

Cuda boot area 009.jpg

Cuda boot area 017.jpg

I thought about scarebird but you have to
use your old parts and is a PITA. Here is what I went with and cost $751.

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/dodge...nversions.html

While your setup is beautiful, I don't understand your comment....

You ditch the factory drum, backing plate.

You install their brackets, and you install brand new calipers, rotors, pads, and brake hoses, all parts that they require, but are obtained at the local parts store. He also uses common application parts, so they are cheap to replace. Granted they are not drilled and slotted, billet and stainess, but to be able to do all 4 corners for 1/2 of what you paid for your front only is respectable.

I am taking nothing from your system, but this is a CHEAP way for someone to convert to 4wd, for beer money.

Ah... they changed it since I last looked, it used to use a 1 piece hub and rotor assembly off a ? Polara, or Sport Fury ?

Even better, now the rotor is even easier to find.

I really see no advantage to using their front setup over a stock Mopar 73 and up front setup. Unless you HAVE to keep the SBP for some reason.

TopHat

The stock set up isnt that easy to find around here. Also if you all ready rebuilt your suspension and then go to upgrade to 73+ disc your replacing everything again.

Adam do you plan on doing a front disk brake swap on your Dart? I can't remember if yours had disk or not.

to answer my own thread.....

I did the scarebird conversion over a years ago and it works great. I havent had any problems with it. When I originally did mine it was their first design and used GM calipers and rotors. Since then they have updated to use better combination of parts. I wish I had re-drilled the hubs for the 4.5 pattern is my only complaint.

I never thought about doing the back. We did the front and I couldn't believe the difference. Wow! Then I went for some bling with drilled and slotted. I've had mixed reviews.......

drilslot1.jpg

hey mullinax95 calm down you seem to have read these posts wrong. Back to basics didnt call your system cheap he called the scarebird system a cheap way to do things and still have beer money left over.He wasnt calling your system the cheap one. So i hate to say it but you took that way wrong and went off on him for the wrong reasons. Also if you look at the dates on the post outlaw started this thread almost 3 years ago at that time he hadnt used the kit and was trying to find out if it was worth it or not someone recently brought this thread back up and he posted that he did use the scarebird kit and it worked fine.when he originally posted he hadnt used it yet but when it came back up 3years later he posted that it worked well for him good luck hope everyone calms down seems a few got worked up for the wrong reasons

Everything is cool.

I didn't realize the date either so that answers my question to Outlaw "If you have already used the kit and you say it works great why ask questions about it?"

I took Backtobasics comments in the wrong way.

Sorry Backtobasics for my comments and misunderstanding.

Adam do you plan on doing a front disk brake swap on your Dart? I can't remember if yours had disk or not.

Guys, Thanks for editing your posts. Glad you worked tings out before I got to it.

Black Ace, My car has 73+ Disc on it all ready. I do have the rear disc kit from ScareBird sitting on the shelf.

-
Back