Has anyone used this conversion kit?

-

FURY440

Reaction score
I have a 225. Has anyone used the PerTronix Ignitor® Solid-State Ignition Systems 1361A conversion kit? It's seems to be a good price at $79. Or is there a better conversion kit out there for about the same price. Also, should I go with a new coil?

I have used similar Pertronix on air cooled VWs years ago. They will run like a well tuned point engine, but not degrade after a few thousand miles like points do. I would hook up a grounded plug to coil crank it, if the spark is bright blue and not thin, good enough. If it is orange red or weak, get a new coil. I would also add a ground wire from distributor body to engine, so when adjusting timing ground is not lost. Use a small ring lug under a small distributor case screw, and a larger ring lug to an engine or body ground. The ground is an essential part of the coil charge circuit. Loss of ground during operation can fail the module.

Sold ,used ,and owned several Pertronix... Nice product...

Do you mean by "didn't do anything with ballast resistor" that you left it on the car intact?
Thanks

The Pertronix Ignitor you bought must have the ballast resistor, I understand. Read the instructions and let us know. Ignitor II is closer to an HEI module and doesn't need the ballast. Ignitor III adds multi-spark and rev limiter, I recall.

The Pertronix Ignitor you bought must have the ballast resistor, I understand. Read the instructions and let us know. Ignitor II is closer to an HEI module and doesn't need the ballast. Ignitor III adds multi-spark and rev limiter, I recall.

Sorry. Pushed the wrong button.
I installed a pertronix igniter II paired with an igniter II coil. Started right up and ran fine. I had run a jumper wire across ballast resister to keep more original. After about a week in the car it will not start. Plenty of spark, good fuel flow, 12+ volts at coil. No fire though. This is the condition that led me to change out my former system. Any suggestions what to do with this condition? I am at a total loss as to how to proceed. Everything is telling me that the car should start.

Thanks.

Unless something mechanical broke in the engine, if you have spark and fuel it should fire. Does "plenty of spark" mean you used a clamp-on timing light on cyl 1 & verified it flashes at the correct crank angle, then verified all other plug wires give a flash? "Plenty of fuel" could be "too rich". Try clamping off the fuel supply and firing w/ starter fluid sprayed down the carb throat. Are you sure the Pertronix is phased correctly, i.e. rotor tip aligns w/ plug post when it sparks? Search for posts and view youtubes.

-
Back