Has my steering box been upgraded/changed?

-

equium

Reaction score
1970 Plymouth valiant, 4 door, 318.

I'm finishing up a Scarebird disk conversion and have needed to turn my steering wheel lock to lock on occasion. After a while, I noticed something peculiar. I realized that my steering box is 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. Was that standard on power steering cars? I thought it would have been 5 1/2 turns. I'm curious because the PO on my Barracuda specifically told me the steering box was upgraded to 3 1/2 turns, and that lead me to believe they were all like that.
Thanks

ALL power steering boxes are the same (16:1) ratio, which is about 3 1/2 turns lock-to-lock. Manual boxed were typically 24:1, and 5 1/2 turns lock-to-lock. Fast ratio (16:1) manual boxes were an option on early A's, but not common then or now.

Bingo.

There are also some 20:1 replacement worm gears running around. Mopar Performance made them for awhile to rebuild the manual steering boxes. They're ~4.5 turns lock to lock. Unfortunately I don't think they're being made anymore, I wish I'd bought more than the one that I have.

Mopar Performance 20:1 worm and nut dried up a couple years ago. Firm feel seems to have made up a batch of both 20:1 and 16:1 gears.

-
Back