Has,nt sunk in yet

-
Already applied two places. Sitting in the office at the first I noticed a familiar name on the Master plumbers license on the wall.I inquired if he worked for them. Hes the owner. I worked with him 30 years ago. I think he was fired back then.Maybe its worth a few brownie points for me. Waiting on a call back.

you work fast. id be like, drunk a couple o days

good luck. hope you get the job

Sorry to hear about your situation. You sound like your on top of things though. It sucks but in the service world it happens far to often. Luckily as you have probably found there is usually a lot of jobs for plumbers and pipe fitters.

Sometimes sayying this doesn't help but then sometimes it really does. Getting the axe at work really sucks and it's one of the worst things to go through in life but if you scroll through the dozens of threads asking for prayers you will see that people are going through more difficult things every day and surviving. This helps me get through some pretty crappy days.

Best of luck and hopefully you will be back to laying pipe in no time :)

Keep your head up Pete. Go ahead and get that licence. Strike out on your own. I promise, you won't be sorry. Best wishes.

For what it's worth I personally know about five guys that got laid off from their job and went on to start their own company. All have been successful and I know if we do not have the equipment to clear a clog or the time to fix a stack or broken line we usually call in the smaller companies.

Take it easy and think about the good side. I was AF rescue specops for 24yrs SW Asia, Africa, etc. Received the H1N1 shot and it happened to me, I was hung out to dry. No retirement for us guard guys, lost my full time job, and cannot even get unemployment or ss due to being un diagnose, Dizzy like drunk on a roller coaster every day. The va is a political machine and drops all my claims waits a year and gives me a reply as I put them in. Just figure they are waiting for most of us to drop off like they did with the agent orange guys. Congressmen also hear it is closed and write me off. Family and friends are what it is all about.
Ray

Sorry to read about this Pete. How it was handled doesn't sound very professional to me....

Prayers sent for you to land a new/better position quickly :thumbup:

Sorry to read this Pete! There is lots of industry looking for plumbers. Don't forget water and wastewater treatment plants too. Prayers for a new and better job quickly.

In my opinion, loyalty to the company you work for these days tends to be disregarded by most employers. They demand yours but owe you nothing for it. I also feel employers would rather chance the cheaper young and inexperienced than senior folks that actually know what they are doing.

Hang on and try to keep a positive attitude. As several have stated, get that shingle up and work for you.
And don't feel bad about unemployment. I'm sure you deserve it after 33 years of service.
Best wishes to you and yours!

been there man, it sucks, but let me say, do your best to start your own business. so much can be said for not giving your sweat and loyalty to a company or boss that doesn't care.
let me just say, don't let it affect your outlook like it did me.

Sorry to hear this Pete. Hope you find another job soon. Are there no laws there for termination notice? Our thoughts are with you.

Jack

What kills me is your boss protected himself by not letting you get your journeyman's. Which would just make you a stronger employee. Keep your head up!

What a scumbag. Step on toes to see over heads.

You are better than that, Pete. Don't dwell on it. Clearly, there was no respect for you. Just do what you need to do for now, keep digging up interviews and knock it out, once you've finished testing.

You said you didn't get a Severance package ?????....how does that work ???
I got made " Redundant " about 3 months ago from my job of 6 & 1/2 years, and I got a severance package.....thank god.....I'd be stuffed without it.

Hope you find a job bloke.

That sucks and I'm terribly sorry to hear about it.
What I have learned is no matter how long you work for a company, no matter how much you put your heart and soul into your job, in the end, you're a means to an end for someone else.
It doesn't matter what you did for the company for so many years, it's what did you do for me right now.
I've seen great guys get the axe where I work, guys who have been there for a long time. While they keep the duds. I used to think, I've got 20 plus years in, I'm safe. Now I realize I'm just 20+ years closer to the door.
If you're like me,don't be worried about it. I'm damn good at what I do, if it comes to it, I won't be out of a job long. I doubt you will either. If your industry is like mine,the word will get out and the calls will come in.

That's crazy Pete! So sorry it went down the way it did.

I did the same as you...Journeymen in Custom residential/Lt. commercial, but just for 7yrs in the 70's/Early 80's. I ran work for my last 3yrs, but I just couldn't take the cold in Maryland and moved on to run a AC/Delco warehouse for a time.

You get that that Masters, and I'm seriously thinking of moving to So. Texas :D. Hey, I'm running on fumes right now myself.....I could use the $$$ and change of scenery.

I'm seriously thinking of moving to So. Texas :D. Hey, I'm running on fumes right now myself.....I could use the $$$ and change of scenery.

Too bad you can't take the cold. I know of a local plant that starts off well and with your back ground you'd be a shoe-in.

Pete, I gotta tell you, I don't know what you're going through as all my jobs have come and gone so much over the years that I don't sweat it. It does suck, though, that you were treated like this.

I'll be praying for you.

Too bad you can't take the cold. I know of a local plant that starts off well and with your back ground you'd be a shoe-in.

Pete, I gotta tell you, I don't know what you're going through as all my jobs have come and gone so much over the years that I don't sweat it. It does suck, though, that you were treated like this.

I'll be praying for you.

don`t know how old you are, but if you ever had the thot of going into business for yourself, now is the time. course you got to be a bull shi----, from what I`ve seen. worked in plumb. for 43 yrs. and just retired. worked w/ guys that I could plumb circles around, but they had a knack for b.s.ing people-went in business for themselves and made it ! good luck, there is a shortage of plbrs. as the younger generation doesn`t want to work that hard, and expects to start at the top.

What ever you do, be sure to file for Unemployment benefits. I know that's not an answer, but it is an bandage that will keep food on the table, and some bills payed without going into your savings.

Finding a job is now your job. Best Wishes for a speedy score.

What kills me is your boss protected himself by not letting you get your journeyman's. Which would just make you a stronger employee. Keep your head up!
I miss wrote the original post .Ihave been a journeyman 30 years. He didnt want me to get a masters because then I could legally start a plumbing buisness.

Hey Pete, sorry to hear of your predicament. I think you'll do fine down there once you get everything in order. There are many employers in your area, good luck with your search.

As far as the recommendation on doing a start up of your own business, be sure and do plenty of research on this. It's not for everybody. And, with no reflection on a persons ability to do their job, the large majority of new businesses fail. Knowing your trade very well, and being good at it, does not equate to being a good business owner. It's two different things. This far into your career it might be better to continue as an excellent employee for a company that offers decent pay and benefits.

I knew some guys who worked for 3M and found out that they were fired by checking their voice mail in the morning on their way into work.... Very cold....

-
Back