has parking lights but no headlights

-

dodgescatpack

Reaction score
help when i went to turn on my lights to pull the car in to my garage my parking lights came on but i dont have high or low beam head lights any one had this problem before
neal

You might also check to ensure the headlight switch is not loose at the dash. If it loosens off it can cause the pull rod to not come out far enough to actually turn on the headlights, although the parking lights will usually come on.

same thing happened to me. so I replaced the dimmer switch, but still no lights! then I replaced the headlight switch, still no lights.
Then I called my mopar genius buddy and he told me to fix the ground on the radiator support.
Guess What!!! I have spare headlight and dimmer switches.

do you have a test light? also, check the hot lead into headlight switch.

put it on volts and put the + lead of volt meter to the hot wire into headlight switch and the other to ground. see if there is a reading. a test light is quicker to just find if power is there or not.

i went to check all my wires are fine then when i went to put the negitive side on battery it started smoking any clue what that could be because i dont know ?

you must have a draw or something hot going to ground. get a test light, put the alligator clip part on the cable terminal, and poke the pointy end into the battery - post. it should light up. pull 1 fuse at a time until the light goes out. that is the circuit with the problem. if not, undo the feed into the inside( at the starter relay). if it goes out you have a constant hot grounding somewhere inside the car. if it is still lit, check the engine bay.

Do you still have the original ammeter hooked up as it was from the factory? These things can cause all kinds of problems when they fail. For a quick check, you can move the left side wire and put it on the right side post with the existing wire so the ammeter is bypassed but you still have continuity through the system.

-
Back