Has the "patina" trend caught on here yet?

-
Patina, guilty as charged. My Dart is just faded and I haven't got around to take it all apart for paint. I guess I'm afraid I'll never get it back together again. lol I had a couple youngsters ask me at a show "how did you get the paint like that? It's cool"

Attachments

• 014 (2).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 555
Mike your barracuda looks like it has weathered natural and well. Nice car.
Now get some paint on it. Kidding.
All my cars are so over patina'd I won't even post pictures on the site from embarrassment.
I think it is better suited to 40s and older cars. I am building a model A that doesn't have a lick of paint left on it and it won't get any. The car is to rough and would cost a fortune to make paint look good on it. It is cheaper to just leave it alone.
I agree and feel the last year of vehicle for it should be around 48 because anything newer than that just looks like it needs paint. The old fat fenders and previous look great with the paint work off.

Go tell the rat rod crowd they own pieces of ****, Karl. Come tell me to my face my truck is a piece of **** with an early Hemi in it when it's done.

I think it all depends on the vehicle.

I've heard the same thing from a few people about my truck, Rob. You know and I know B series Dodge Trucks are cool :D

Mine looks like crap, because I don't have the money for a high end paint job (materials, since I have a paint booth). And I can't find the correct 1948 Front End Parts, so it has a 52-53 Nose with a cut down Chevy Truck "Tube" Grille

dgibby kinda said it all, Patina= "Lack of funds". Though people have paid large sums to make their car look old and worn. The cars I have now will never be worth more than mid 4 figures. I don't have the skills/place to do paint work so it's hard to justify paying for a $4000 to $7000 job on a car that on a good day may bring $6000 in the market place.
The clear coat over to seal in the patina is really catching on in this area and I have thought of doing it to my 64 Dart,,,but then again I'm sure I'll just leave it as is.
My $.02

Go tell the rat rod crowd they own pieces of ****, Karl. Come tell me to my face my truck is a piece of **** with an early Hemi in it when it's done.
patina doesn't make a vehicle a piece of ****.

It just makes it LOOK like a piece of ****.

That needs a paint job.

I had a couple youngsters ask me at a show "how did you get the paint like that? It's cool"
tell them "well, it took a looooong time" lol.

Attachments

• 10628201_552352105854_4106067509083075427_n.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 467
on the old fat fendered rods and trucks, yea I can deal with the lack of paint ....but, I hate for metal to rust OUT.
been experimenting with "ospho". its a phosphoric acid producy I first read about on here, take off loose rust, apply ( not heavy), let dry. leaves a phosphate coating, I have treated door where it was just light surface rust. hard to describe but the stuff left it clean, slick looking, and now has been sitting in open shed for months , no problem. I did treat other areas and did find ya got to be careful what ya put on that metal. something about epoxy primers, acid or non acid something?? in the primer? put some tractor equipment oil base paint on another spot. stuck like epoxy but wrinkles in spots but still stuck like glue.
patina guys might experiment with it some. kill the rust. keep the patina and seal it with out the cost of clear. qt of ospho was like $10.

Here's a truck I saw at a car show on our UP trip! It was an d brewery delivery truck, from an out of business brewery! Still has the brewery logo on the hood!! Really cool old truck!! I love the look, and its a dodge!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 439
Jimharvard - I agree with your way of thinking. I have a nice driver that I never have to stress over. An old 50's drag rod with a 392 and original rash and aging (there, I didnt say patina) is cool too.

yep patina is great on other peoples cars. to each their own. i will drive in light grey primer or paint. drove my old charger with a new vinyl top, completed bodywork, nice ARE wheels, and newly rechromed bumpers while it was in grey primer. i eventially jambed it out, and shot it B5 blue in my folks garage.

had a friend in high school who had a 68 formula S notchback in grey primer with black vinyl top and ansen sprints. i dont think he ever painted that car.

IMHO the beat to **** paint peeling , sunburnt two tone looks like crap. its fine if your getting the car running and want to enjoy the car until you can get it redone. not everybody can do bodywork and make it look good, and that usually costs plenty.

not sure if the beat to **** beirut edition cars full of rust and bullet holes help or hurt the hobby. but i tend to think that at least its better than them rusting completely away.

just my .02
Matt

its not that bad, its only one hundred dollars.

I don´t know what should I call my Valiant. Outside is pretty much same that when I found it from forest. Interior is painted with new/good upholstery and underside all new with bigger everything.

to me its no different than blasting the entire thing in flat black and calling it "murdering". people will put labels on everything.

I would much rather drive around in epoxy primer. at least its one color.

Paint is to far gone on this one. Working on getting new paint on the roof first
It is black. Will have it in paint before I put it back on the road.
Factory color is iridescent plum over black.
The shiny picture I pulled off the net and is what it is supposed to look like.

Attachments

• 2012-10-01_08-31-40_193-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 469
  • 2012-10-01_08-32-02_349-1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 440
  • images (5).jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 416
I'd rather have original patina than most paint jobs I see at the shows! I can't imagine spending thousands of dollars on a paint job just to find trash in the paint or any kind of imperfections!

And if we're gonna start calling out fake patina, then let's start calling out non functional spoilers, scoops, side pipes, racing stripes, mag style wheel covers, and all those other "fads for posers'...

Oh wait! That's half of the cars on this forum!

I'd rather have original patina than most paint jobs I see at the shows! I can't imagine spending thousands of dollars on a paint job just to find trash in the paint or any kind of imperfections!

And if we're gonna start calling out fake patina, then let's start calling out non functional spoilers, scoops, side pipes, racing stripes, mag style wheel covers, and all those other "fads for posers'...

Oh wait! That's half of the cars on this forum!

sounds like you are calling every company that built muscle cars "poseurs". at least the body was one color

apples to oranges apples to oranges

REAL patina is fine to some extent, non of this "looks like it's gona' fall apart rolling down the road!" non sense tho.

Or this fake crap a local "dealer" tried to pawn off.
Scotch brighting a 1/2 decent paint job to create break thrus on the paint,rattle canning trim, and having local "talent" pose along with some over sized mall crawler bling black wheels will not bring you 5 times what the longbed is worth

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Dodge-Rat-Rod-/261493490522?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=K9GyzCScfjkx24TUUICgq500nYk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc"]1965 Dodge Rat Rod | eBay[/ame]

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Shame that dodge got in the wrong hands. Perfect example of fake. It will take more money to fix it now.

Here's a truck I saw at a car show on our UP trip! It was an d brewery delivery truck, from an out of business brewery! Still has the brewery logo on the hood!! Really cool old truck!! I love the look, and its a dodge!!!

That's a 1948 - 1950 Dodge B1B-108 Truck. Aka B Series or Pilothouse Series (B-Series/Pilothouse actually was 1948-1953, but they changed the Nose/Grille in 1951).

1/2 Ton, 108" Wheelbase, Probably has a 218 Flathead 6 in it (230 was optional starting in '49 I believe), with a 3 Speed on the Floor. A 4-Speed "Crash Box" (Non-Synchronized 4-Speed) was Optional, the 3-Speed is Synchronized. My '48 has a "Crash Box" in it, nothing says classy quite like double clutching :D

Here's some nice patina. A couple customer of mine that build these for fun (and profit).
http://stonerspeedshop.com/

Those are pretty damn cool but,.....tell us more of the sweptline in their video! :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-JoObs39M"]Bagged Chevy time lapse build air ride 53 stepside shortbed patina go pro how to - YouTube[/ame]

Here's my opinion FWIW.
Real patina is okay, but not with a clear coat on it.
I've never seen a vehicle that was clear coated over the patina that looked right.
Why would you want to preserve patina in the first place? Isn't that a contradiction?
If a vehicle left in the elements took 40 plus years to look that way, How much will it change in 10 or more years into the future especially if it's garaged 90% of the time? Why would you care?
It's like a 90 year old woman that gets breast implants. It just doesn't look right or natural!
And people distressing a paint job to create fake patina is a waste of time and it just looks plain stupid to me.
My car looks the way it does because i don't have the funds to do a proper paint job to it. I did what i could to make the car look better until i could afford a proper paint job.
I may just leave it that way....not because of a ''theme'' i'm going after, but economics and other priorities with the car will come first.
The REAL rat rod people have it right.
Get it on the road and drive the s.o.b!
I'll worry about cosmetics later........

Those of us who favor "patina" could just as easily hate on cars with multi thousand dollar paint jobs and call them POS trailer queens.....but I for one never have. It's ridiculous to look down your nose at someone else's creation that they built FOR THEM.

Those of us who favor "patina" could just as easily hate on cars with multi thousand dollar paint jobs and call them POS trailer queens.....but I for one never have. It's ridiculous to look down your nose at someone else's creation that they built FOR THEM.

If you are referring to my post, i will simplify it.
There are a lot of people spending lots of money and time doing things to impress other people that they will never meet, and don't really care.
Just because a magazine or a car show on t.v. says it's cool and trendy to do something, do what you want, it's your money and time, so do whatever makes YOU happy.
Too many people jump onto bandwagons just to be popular.
If someone is into 100% concours restos, Rusty Rat Rods, low riders, drifting, pro street, gassers, cruisers, tuners, hot street machines, etc. etc. then do it for yourself, and not just to fit into a clique or a fad.
But then again, do whatever turns your crank, what the hell do i know? :banghead:

This one wasn't done intentionally, I want to paint it (I still need to track down a VERY RARE set of John Baker 3" Pre-Runner/Off-Road Fenders first).... But it won't fit in my Paint Booth.

So I "Rattle Canned" It with cheap black paint, until I figure out the best way to paint it.

Pretty sure that was the original meaning behind Patina and Rat Rods. Can't Afford Paint, or Can't Fit it in a Paint Booth, so make due with what you have (regrettably).

Drove my '74 Duster around like this for about a year (over 10 years before the 6-71 Blower was added). Smoked a lot of imports, chevys and fords, nobody would have expected a hot 340 to be under the hood of a "crap box"

It looked like ***, inside and out :D But dear god did it RUN. I was always a flat broke teen (back then), because I sunk EVERYTHING I had into the engine & drivetrain (repeatedly, to get more and more power).

Well, I put a light satin clear over part of the "patina" (i.e. burned off paint) on my '72 because there were some areas where it was showing bare metal. I carefully removed any rust just from those spots (there weren't many), then hit it with the light clear so it wouldn't rust before I can start the bodywork (someday). Otherwise, yeah, I guess why would you clear over the patina. I'm still torn on the "patina" on my '72. I love it, but at some point, I will want to paint the car because the rest of it is nice enough that it deserves to look new again.

On the original question, I think it just depends on the car and what the patina in question looks like. I've never seen fake patina that I liked. The car has to earn it.

Original paint, faded into a nice patina Is ok. It's the fake stuff and cleared over stuff that is cheesy as hell.

-
Back