Has the "patina" trend caught on here yet?

-
i have both clean and dirty
the new yorker i am not changing @ all
and the duster not ugly

Attachments

• Picture 151.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 403
  • Picture 152.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 375
I've pretty much decided to leave my Dart wagon as is, with peeling clear and a bunch of scratches and some dings. Most people think it's cool, I think it's pretty cool, and it would be a ton of work/money to paint it, and then the trim would be too rough and I'd have to do that...

As it sits, I can drive it without much worry and I still like it. It's a beater...

Attachments

• 012a.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 401
I think natural patina looks pretty cool! I plan on running and enjoying my Duster with its worn original paint... I will paint the inside of the car, the engine bay, and chassis but leave the exterior original other than the necessary lower rear quarter patch repair.

Attachments

• 100_3597.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 417
  • 100_3595.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 390
I've heard the same thing from a few people about my truck, Rob. You know and I know B series Dodge Trucks are cool :D

<a href="http://s182.photobucket.com/user/ChrisKDD/media/IMG_0288_zpsbe4a3d10.jpg.html" target="_blank">

<a href="http://s182.photobucket.com/user/ChrisKDD/media/48%20B1B/S5000077.jpg.html" target="_blank">

Mine looks like crap, because I don't have the money for a high end paint job (materials, since I have a paint booth). And I can't find the correct 1948 Front End Parts, so it has a 52-53 Nose with a cut down Chevy Truck "Tube" Grille

Cool truck! Especially the mudgrips! Bonafide War Horse!

I'm a sucker for patina. I think it shows the tests of time the car has been through. I can't really explain why I think surface rust and faded paint look good but most of the time it does to me. I don't like fake patina though. But an Old street car or race car with faded paint, rubber stuck to the lower quarters, dents, or Amy other wear from being driven just looks good to me. And in a way tells a story. I have a couple dents in my car from when I was 16 answers caused by some of the crazy antics of me and my friends. They aren't real noticeable but there. I've thought about repairing them but can't bring myself to it. Every time I look at them I remember the fun times of how they got there. No matter what people will hate and love patina. I love it, my car has it. And to those who think its a piece can KMA. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a lazy body man, I have my degree in collision repair and worked at a resto shop for a few years. I just like my duster on a little of the rough side. A row of 15 perfectly restored cars will get ignored next to a car that shows patina and history

Sure, but even you will admit it would look better driving down the road either way, right?

That's actually the plan. Next spring, tires, disk brakes, electric wipers, get a couple of pieces of glass cut and drive it. Hopefully the next winter body work and primer, maybe pull the engine for detailing drive it again. Make it a rolling resto.

Plenty of patina.

View attachment 1714748365

Tell me it wouldn't look better in a nice tri-coat or candy red with a white top.

It would look bad *** driving down the road painted or not.

Unfortunately most cars get taken apart for paint and/or restoration and never get finished. Must people under estimate the cost and amount of work required for the projects to get finished and as a result they never get finished.

a thing of beauty eh?

40+ years in the making. why spend 10K for fix the body for a car thats only worth 8K done? makes no sense.

Attachments

• 65rs.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 374
  • wheel1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 354
A friend of mine bought a 58 Chevy panel truck with a very nice, smooth and shiny blue metallic paint job. He paid good money to have some dents and dings applied and a paint job that recreated patina. It wound up looking like faded blue paint had worn away over gray primer and had a fair amount of rust. The final coat was a flat clear. Then he had what looks like the remains of some tire company logo put on the doors. I could not belive that he paid money to get his truck to look like that! And, he paid a lot of money to make it look like an old junker. I'll bet the guy who put the hours into getting it laser straight and shiny would cry real tears if he saw it now.

Here's some natural patina for you. If I ever get it together I'll drive it as is for a while. Eventually I'm thinking about a froggish satin green.

Attachments

• Dart on its wheels front.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 355
If people really want patina, I can sell em my old 79 GMC shop truck. The paint is oxidized to hell and back! Your hand turns white when you touch it.

a thing of beauty eh?

40+ years in the making. why spend 10K for fix the body for a car thats only worth 8K done? makes no sense.

Now that's patina. I need to start rubbing mine thin to the primer. That looks good. tmm

a thing of beauty eh?

Looks like she's been sitting there for quite a while eh?..... She even left her footprints in the pavement.Lol.

Good point on the cost of painting it vs the value of the car when finished!

Overall, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Teal green truck in the background. $30K sounds good to me. Azz monkey style.

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 355
Truth be told...I like the look of the cleared over surface rust...looks kinda cool. The first time I saw it I asked what the heck kind of paint that was to get that surface texture and color shade. Who knew?
Any way...I like to pat Tina...:burnout:

Patina. 4 door was originally Black, repainted lt blue and sat in a field for 15 years.

Attachments

• DSCN3914.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCN3945.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN3944.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 295
original paint except for hood

Attachments

• well & race 017.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 272
  • well & race 097.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 272
  • well & race 100.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 284
I kind of like it and it is funny when I am in the pits and someone leans on the car I say watch the paint with straight face... Then laugh at them

Attachments

• 69dart 003.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 272
My 66 Barracuda vintage road race car has lots of "patina" after 18 years on the track. The front center grille has several big dings in it from engine pieces that hit my car from a Corvette whose engine exploded in front of me at Laguna Seca. Every time I look at the car I remember that Corvette. The windshield has pits from rocks being thrown up from cars going "off course". :eek:ops:

Every scratch and scrape on the car has a story. I will always leave it that way.

-
Back