Have a CPAP Machine? Beware of GAME OVER

-
When I get a new one my old one will become my spare
One other thing you might wish to do is write a complaint letter to the US Department of Health (or what ever its called). I would think its illegal to deny life support services.

The unmitigated gaul!

I wouldn't worry too much about the Gauls, Gaius Julius Caesar took care of those barbarians quite handily. ;)

I suspect that this probably a confluence of legal *** covering, and pre-planned obscelence and inflation of costs of goods and services due to government subsidies and mandates in an industry and an almost European guild structure in the medical industry.

Free ain't free...

Thanks for the heads up on the subject, my elderly mother uses a cpap machine I will check if hers has a software killswitch.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Gauls, Gaius Julius Caesar took care of those barbarians quite handily. ;)

I suspect that this probably a confluence of legal *** covering, pre-planned obscelence and inflation of costs of goods and services due to government subsidies and mandates in an industry and an almost European guild structure in the medical industry.

Free ain't free...

Thanks for the heads up on the subject, my elderly mother uses a cpap machine I will check if hers has a software killswitch.

Thanks for the good spell-check catch! I've been pronouncing it wrong for decades by saying, "gaul" instead of "gall".

Although, the next thing you know, some people might have the unmitigated gall to start correcting your grammar for you. Plenty of things to worry about besides the Gauls there, but who would do that kind of thing in this day and age?

Ahhhh, but when in Rome...

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 6.5 years ago. I was prescribed a ResMed CPAP machine and leased it through Apria. It took some getting used to, but after a short time, it changed my life for the better. I could sleep through the night and wake up rested. What a difference.

Last week it stopped working and an error message on the machine said something like “the motor lifetime has expired.” These machines have a predicted lifetime of about 6 years, and my ResMed is programmed in software to permanently stop, even though everything is working fine. WHOSE IDIOT IDEA WAS THAT? ResMed actually did respond to my inquiry and said that I could not reset it.

Fixing this is not like going down and renting a new gear puller. Apria says they will furnish a new machine, but I need to get a new prescription. My original doctor has retired, and the firm he was in is not in my provider network. There were two, network, sleep doctors in my area. One can get me an appointment in June, and another can get me an appointment in July. If your sleep apnea is severe, waiting 4 or 5 months is not a very good option.

My point is, if you need one of these machines and it stops working, plan ahead for the medical roadblocks and avoid four or five months of misery.
I'm sorry you're so far away. I have an extra CPAP and an extra BiPAP..
I'd loan either to you until you got yours fixed.
The VA gave me both. I tried to return them and they told me to keep them as they'd just toss them.
I went to a BiPAP and now have the CPAP and the extra BiPAP started to make a bearing noise. They replaced it, and I fixed it after it was mine to break.
I use the extra BiPAP for when I travel (if that ever happens again!). If an airline losses it, no loss.
I hope it works out for you.

Thank you gunbunny. I just got my appointment today. They scheduled me for July 18 (4.5 months away!). This is how long it will take to a prescription to get a new machine. I found a place in Southern California that will fix my machine in 1-2 days. It will cost me about $200 out of my pocket, but I should be up and running next week.

One other thing you might wish to do is write a complaint letter to the US Department of Health (or what ever its called). I would think its illegal to deny life support services.
A CPAP machine is not a life support unit. If it was he would have to be on it 24/7.

A CPAP machine is not a life support unit. If it was he would have to be on it 24/7.
I don't know about all that!
It may not be life support, but it sure improves the quality of life.
I left my CPAP at home one year when I went to Mopar Nats, I felt like hell the next day.
I've never left it at home, if I was going to be away overnight, after that.

That’s about the first thing I pack in my motorhome. At racetracks we don’t have power for the weekend so I either run my very quiet 2000 watt Honda generator or I have a 12 volt battery I set on the floor and use it to power a 120 volt inverter. Zero noise and no gas wasted.

I have a resmed S9 thats at least 10 years old maybe 12 and its never given me messages like that. Just tells me every so often to change my hose and mask.

Just a heads up. If any of you guys get Covid you can Google how to bump your pressure up. I bumped mine up from 10 to 12 and my doctor said that was a very smart thing to do. I bumped it back down after I recovered.

I originally got the machine because a recording device said my oxygen level got down into the low 80s at night. I have been getting along without and only feeling a little tired the next morning. The main reason I'm warning you guys is that if your CPAP goes out, it may be difficult to get a timely replacement.

I have a resmed S9 thats at least 10 years old maybe 12 and its never given me messages like that. Just tells me every so often to change my hose and mask.

You have the same machine that I had. Web research says that this machine goes off at 24,000 hours. You're probably close to that limit.

Thanks for the good spell-check catch! I've been pronouncing it wrong for decades by saying, "gaul" instead of "gall".

Although, the next thing you know, some people might have the unmitigated gall to start correcting your grammar for you. Plenty of things to worry about besides the Gauls there, but who would do that kind of thing in this day and age?

Ahhhh, but when in Rome...
Veni, Vidi, Vinci!

-
Back