Have I overfilled it?

-

AussiePlymouths

Reaction score
G'day! Just wondering whether any of you blokes can help me please? I decided to drain my tranny and put a new filter and fluid in. '63 Valiant, /6 and 904.

All went well until I refilled it. I checked the FSM and it said 15 pints. We have been metric here since '66 (DUH!) and the conversion I worked out to be 9 litres.

OK, so I put in 5 litres started it and ran thru the pushbuttons and then added the rest.
When I checked the dipstick idling in neutral it shows a little over the word "full" on the dipstick. :violent1:

Will this damage the tranny if i drive it this way?
If so, how do I get the extra pint out of the tranny please?
Hope I'm no the first dope to do this? :silent:

All advice appreciated thanks
Regards
Gary

How much over the full mark? I would not think a little is going to hurt a thing. I've done it myself.

A little over full wont hurt but if you wabt to drain a little ou can loosen a cooler libe at the bottom of the radiator and let the pump push some fluid out.

Next time when do a filter and fluid change buy you one of these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-4470/ and install it on the pan. In case you overfill it you can just pull the and drain plug and drain a little out opposed to removing a line. You might find a higher quality one than mister gasket however.

Installed one on my Dodge Ram and actually enjoy servicing the transmission now. lol The main reason I installed one is that it was recommended to change fluid every 15k miles because of the troublesome Dodge transmission I have. I have to adjust the bands more than anything.
Fortunately I have never had to drain any out but there is always chance that might happen.

On automatic transmissions it is better to be low on fluid than to much.

a little over full wont hurt but if you wabt to drain a little ou can loosen a cooler libe at the bottom of the radiator and let the pump push some fluid out.
x2....in neutral, E-brake on, and wheels chocked.

OK Thanks.

The FSM says stop adding at the "add 1 pint" mark. So. if I'm just past the word "Full", I figure I'm over.

Thanks redfish, I'll let some out.

Thanks for all the replies everybody. :cheers:

-
Back