Have n trouble shifting

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. Now that I have my motor issues fixed, now I have trans issues. What I have is a 71 Swinger, 226, 904, 8 1/4 w\3.23 SG.
The issue.When starting from a stop the trans will shift from 1, 2, 3rd before i get to 20 MPH. Not sure how long its been doing it, i was not worried bout it till i got the motor running right. I drove it to work 70 miles 1-way. while up to speed it ran great. A time or 2 at a light I would shift manuley and all was ok, but slipped a little going to 3rd. Fluid is where it needs to be. Any one have an idea? Or is there a way to adjust aomething? Please help, its a dod off the line.

Sounds like you need to adjust the kickdown rod. The rod goes from the carb down to the trans. Should be adjusted so that when the throttle is pushed all of the way down the kickdown rod is pushed all of the way back. If that's the problem you should take care of it. If it's left alone it can fry a trans.

That's it ! And if you haven't done it, do a trans. service and change the fluid and filter.

Good advice so far. All I can add is do not wait to fix it. Fix it NOW.

Thanks guys. I have already serviced the trans. So I bet since I just put a Lokar kickdown on it I have not got it adjusted correctly. I hope to have time tonight to adjust it, but it will be adjusted before I drive it again.
And this is who I love FABO.

-
Back