Have you ever had an engine you couldn't blow up ?

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My brother had a 1976 2800/171 ci
V6 Capri. The trim and interior were cheap, too much plastic.
He beat the hell out of that car. 6000 rpm power launches, dump the clutch etc.
One of my brothers bought in thrashed the **** out of it.
I ended up with it , creamed the body beyond beyond reason repair racing a Cosworth Vega.
It was still driveable . I got the fund for another car and purposely tried to blow the engine. It wouldn't rev past 6000 (under power). Had I kept it up I could have blown it.
I consider it a testament to German engineering

Some friends of mine had a body shop, tow service, storage business. They were on the CHP list for abandoned cars, they got a lot of lien sale candidates. If it didn't sell off, to the salvage yard, but never with an operational engine. :rofl: It took us almost 3 hours to blow up a little Rambler v8 one day :rofl:

My 273 in my 65 Dart. 13" tires and a one wheel peel 7 1/4 rear. It was a HP engine and I beat the hell out of that thing. It had near 100,000 miles on it when I bought it and I heard rumors the original owner didn't show it any mercy either.

I don't like admitting it but I took a 78 Datsun in B 210 hatchback out in the woods for the sole purpose of destroying it and leaving it sit but that car wouldn't die I drove it to the junkyard.

This isn’t a story about one we couldn’t blow up but of ones that we could. Every fall our car club would have a get together. We would get a foreign car and remove all of the glass, oil and water out of it and start it up and then put a rock on the gas pedal. We would then throw a dollar in a pot and try to guess on how long it would take to blow up. Surprisingly enough they usually ran for quite a while. Afterwards we would take turns smashing it with a sledge hammer to finish it off.

I was taught not to break my toys, however, I've had a time or two where I was surprised that I didn't blow it up.

In high school I had for a limited time a $250 brown on beige 82 or 83 sentra station wagon. It couldn't do 65, wouldn't climb any appreciable hill over 45. If you rolled the windows down more than 1/4 of the way it would slow down.
But we couldn't kill it.
I blew apart 2 different exhaust manifolds when the suspension bottomed out after catching air through a drainage and the exhaust pipe slammed up and shattered the collector. Had to hack up the exhaust when I replaced it the second time because the pipe was crimped shut. It happened because my friend in a v6 Mustang wanted to race and I figured I could beat him if I didn't slow for that big dip so I held my foot down the entire block. When it bounced up, I saw the top of his roof, good times. At least parts were cheap because no one wanted to keep them, even at a junkyard.
My sister hated it even more and slammed it into reverse around 50mph in an attempt to coax something better from the parental unit. It just made horrible noises until it stopped, then we drove away. Neutral drops wouldn't even chirp the anemic rubber, just haul the revs down until it ambled away.
It's was the kind of car you could park running in a sketchy part of town and they'd leave you $5 in gas money under a wiper to make sure it went away.
It did haul 8 people in discomfort and if they weren't overly safety conscious you could fit 17 by leaving the tailgate open and using the roof and hood for seating. It also did awesome doughnuts in reverse on account of no sway bars and what felt like a mile long wheelbase (it was only 95 inches in reality). I had ever lasting slow tire leaks from blasting the tires off the bead by flipping it around in every dirt and parking lot I found.

-
Back