Having 0 luck...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
....locating a cheap trailer...don't need the trailer, just the axle, springs and wheels. Going to be building another cooker. Things going to be 1000 pounds or so I would imagine. Been searching CL, local paper and keeping our eyes open when driving...nada. May end up getting a new axle, with brakes, for my little utility trailer and just using the one from it.
When I wasn't in need of this junk seen old beat up boat trailers damn near every place I looked. :banghead::banghead:

That's what I was thinking. You usually can't miss a crapped out boat trailer somewhere! But if you need one.....

That's what I was thinking. You usually can't miss a crapped out boat trailer somewhere! But if you need one.....

Wife just stumbled on a beat up old boat trailer.... $245 3 hours or so each way....

Geez Doug. There had been an old Jayco tent trailer for a hundred bucks. I didn't call because there was no title. It seemed to disappear about yesterday

Geez Doug. There had been an old Jayco tent trailer for a hundred bucks. I didn't call because there was no title. It seemed to disappear about yesterday
Damn it...seems to be the way things go. Del, if you should happen to see anything please let me know. I don't need a title...

Cut the back half off of a pickup truck...
Thought about this but will be a bit cumbersome and way bigger than what I need. I have a Warlock pickup sitting in my yard...did give it some serious thought.
Neighbor behind me had several old beat up trailers...Needless to say he cleaned up his yard last summer...

Something like this work? $239

62645_zzz_500.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-12-in-x-48-in-utility-trailer-62645.html

around here a pickup bed trailer will bring $100 maybe 150 if great body and tires! but this is the " arm pit of America" someone once said! LOL

Go to the salvage yard and get you the rear axle out of an older front wheel drive car, they are solid axles all the way across.

Go to the salvage yard and get you the rear axle out of an older front wheel drive car, they are solid axles all the way across.

I almost suggested that, but they would be hard to mount "simply"

Made the 2 hour trip to Sandpoint today with my loving bride. Picked up a very ugly trailer. Looks like the rails may have come from an old Cheby Luv. Has a 10 Bolt under it. Little bit of plasma cutting/grinding I will have what I think will work. Need to do quite a bit of repair work on the welds that will stay with what I will be using. Going to have to fix the tongue as well. But it will work. Best part...I got to help out a retired Military individual.
Going to have to figure out how I am going to put it all together...got a crap load of work ahead of me...

That might have possibilities. Most of the FWD pass cars seem to be coil springs or some other weird setup

looks like that will work great/ only thing, it might have more springs that it would need? you can't tell till it finished and you pull it..
around here we have several places that sell used steel, mostly oil field pipe. reasonable priced. then there are the commercial steel co. I get good price for sheet metal to fab stuff with as long as they don't think i'm a weekend warrior. redneck trailer supply for hitches/couplers, lights etc

This smoker is going to somewhat heavy. 125 gallon tank, pretty sure it is .250" thick. Two layers of 3/16" for the 32"×20"×20" firebox, a warming box built out of .250" plate...cabinet style doors...Wouldn't be surprised if this thing is pushing 1600 -1700 pounds when I am done....
The ugly trailer...

Attachments

• 20160304_173305.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 93
-
Back