having coil issuses

-

Dixie Dart

Reaction score
I have a 71 dart and it has been going through accel super stock coils the last one didn't make it 5 miles.i HAVE USED ONE OFF A FORD TO MAKE IT HOME ALL 3 TIMES IT HASN'T GONE BAD BUT IT IS EMBARRESSING TO KNOW IT IS A FORD COIL HOLDING UP

I have a 71 dart and it has been going through accel super stock coils the last one didn't make it 5 miles.i HAVE USED ONE OFF A FORD TO MAKE IT HOME ALL 3 TIMES IT HASN'T GONE BAD BUT IT IS EMBARRESSING TO KNOW IT IS A FORD COIL HOLDING UP

The mopar coil is externally ballasted. Is your ballast resistor up to par? If the resistance is below par, that would increase the current flow thru the primary, increasing heat. Ford didn't make that coil, so don't feel bad. ;-)

I changed the balist today and changed the coil to it is wierd problem

That should cover it. Only other thought is, I think they short out the ballast resistor while the starter is engaged. Does the car continue to run with the ballast resistor unplugged? If so, you may need to check out your your wiring.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then your car picked up "Ford Cooties" from that Ford coil you used. No cure for Food Cooties.

Yes you can test the ballast resistor, but most would test it with a known good resistor. Otherwise, you need a VOM (Volts-Ohm meter) to check resistance. Don't remember the ohm rating of that piece, but as i recall it was a fairly low value, and at that it's probably not super critical.

Harbor Freight has a cheapo digital VOM for about 4 bucks or something rediculously cheap like that. Learn how to use that, and study Ohm's Law and you will know 95% more than most others about electricity. Ohms Law defines the relationship between voltage, resistance, and amperage in a direct current circuit. Requires nothing more sophisticated than a little multiplication and division to understand.

The resistance is approx. 1.8~2 ohms. That is very low and you really need a good meter to measure it. Cheap ones like Harbor freight sells aren't all that accurate. Sears sells a much better meter for about $20.

BTW: Just my opinion but I don't think much of Accell products anymore. I put one of their coils on my Dakota and it died within 5,000 miles. Try a MSD or Mallory. I've had much better luck with them.

I recently had the same problem with my 65 Dart. I went to "Just Answer" and had exchange with a 28 year Dodge mechanic. After running wire direct from starter to coil and ballast resistor and this and that , nothing worked.

Put a multimeter on the terminals of the coil when running and check voltage. If it's anywhere near 12V, it's too much if it's the same system as in a 65.

I bought a new ballast resistor and ignition switch fron AutoZone and haven't had a problem since. I really think my problem was the ignition switch. PerTronics makes a coil that works with or without the resistor; part # 40011 for my 65-273-4bbl-auto. Good luck.

Regards, Roger

The ignition switch can be the problem if the internal bypass is shorted out. You can easily check if it's working right or not by unhooking one wire to the ballast resistor and trying to start it. If it's working right it'll start and die as soon as you let off the key. If the switch is shorted it'll start up and keep running.

If you upgrade to a HEI style ignition, you are able to bypass the ballast resistor all together.... You just have to use a HEI style coil, that uses 12v.....

There are a couple of us here using HEI ignition....

hey thanks yall. I changed from a accel super stock to a MSD blaster with larger ballist and moved the coild off the engine PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!! thanks again

-
Back