having startup issue

-

IEduster

Inland Mopars Car Club
Reaction score
im having a issue after driving my 74 duster /6 , if i shut it off and try to restart there is no spark but engine will crank.... ive swaped parts from my 74 scamp as it has same parts.. ive swaped ignition box, voltage regulator, coil. and replaced balast resistor.. what else is there im missing anyone can help please and thank you

matt
IEduster

Ignition switch and ignition wiring.
Good morning Dan :mrgreen:, I had a truck that did the same thing.
I changed the coil and it fixed the problem wy I don't know, All I can think is after the coil got hot it would not work... Wy ?
Another was the ECU on my 66. as it got hot it just quit, could his ECU or coil be going bad ?

im having a issue after driving my 74 duster /6 , if i shut it off and try to restart there is no spark but engine will crank.... ive swaped parts from my 74 scamp as it has same parts.. ive swaped ignition box, voltage regulator, coil. and replaced balast resistor.. what else is there im missing anyone can help please and thank you

matt
IEduster
what you have missed is the $15 mag pickup in the distributor. yes coils come and go, and yes ballast resistors are a pain, but you said yourself you switched everything else.

the mag pickup will come and go, you'll start 15 times in a row and time 16 you'll crank and crank with no spark...then next day it'll fire right up....ballast resistors just cook and die, they won't come back.

I'd use a test light or meter and trace it down. Start where you don't have ignition voltage and work back to where you do. The test procedure for the factory electronic ignition is fairly easy to follow if you have a FSM or good diagnostic guide.

thanks for the help im going to grab that pick-up its a couple bucks higher here in cali of course.....

matt

i'd use a test light or meter and trace it down. Start where you don't have ignition voltage and work back to where you do. The test procedure for the factory electronic ignition is fairly easy to follow if you have a fsm or good diagnostic guide.

x2

thanks for the help im going to grab that pick-up its a couple bucks higher here in cali of course.....

matt
Don't get your hopes up on that pickup coil. I've only seen 3 bad ones in 38 years of working on them. Two had broken wires from flexing fatigue and one had hit the reluctor from not being tightened down. None of them were intermittant.....when they died, they died for good.

Don't get your hopes up on that pickup coil. I've only seen 3 bad ones in 38 years of working on them. Two had broken wires from flexing fatigue and one had hit the reluctor from not being tightened down. None of them were intermittant.....when they died, they died for good.

I chased an intermittent starting/spark issue for 6 months, replaced a battery, MSD ignition box, coil, all because the mag pickup came and went and threw me for a loop...replacing that actually fixed the problem. talked to other mopar guys and they were not surprised at all, it's a cheap attempt anyways. please let us know what actually fixes it, my knowledge comes from my own experience so hope it helps you.

ok guys thanks for all the help....it was the pickup coil...i let it run till it shut off tested the pickup and it was bad so for $22.00 i could get just the pickup or $40 for new distibutor....so i have a new dist.

but thanks again for the help
matt

-
Back