Hay Del check THIS out!

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This bad boy makes it RAIN FIRE!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVxByLO_6cA"]110HP Case Steam Tractor Pull Pinckneyville Illinois August 15 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

That is pretty interestin, I must say. I'm not QUITE that old, but I DO still remember a few steam engines in the early 50's when I was a kid. I don't think they were "main line" then, I think they were maintenance and utility trains, etc. You could always tell a steamer by the whistle. When I was 6 we moved into the house where I grew up, which was my Gramps, and built by him and Dad, in the mid 30's. Dad was in high school. The house was 1/4 mile or a little more from a RR

This is the approx outline of the original 40 acre place, our house at the arrow. Dad and Mom bought a 10 acre strip along the E border from Gramps. We had the run of the whole place RR is at far right

Attachments

• train.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 216
Wow, that's wild! Every spring and fall they have a festival about 20 miles north of me with tractors of all era's and I've seen steam tractors run in the day but never saw them produce anything like that.

there are a couple of places here in Missouri where they have steam engine shows. all steam! all working. pretty cool.

That tractor could pull the sled, a couple other tractors, and the front loader used to dress the track, and still hit the steam whistle!! Funny how effortless it makes pulling the sled look, when the big turbo pullers need all that roar and rousey to do less!!! :)

That venue looks like the Tuckahoe Steam Engine show on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. In the beginning I think you can hear the announcer introducing the guy from some place in Md Anyhow, here are a few pics from when I was there a few years ago

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 202
  • 005.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 199
  • 007.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 008.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 186
  • 009.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 010.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 196
Wonder what the "tractive effort" of that is, and what it was originally rated at.

(That's the steam equivalent of HP)

Wonder what the "tractive effort" of that is, and what it was originally rated at.

(That's the steam equivalent of HP)

Not really, Tractive Effort is totally different, than HP. Tractive effort is the force generated by a vehicle's engine or motor in order to generate motion through tractive force. Tractive effort differs from tractive force, which is the actual force applied at the road surface, by the amount of rolling resistance present. In mathematical terms,

Tractive effort = tractive force + rolling resistance

Steam is converted to HP the easiest way by using 10sq. ft. of heating surface= 1 boiler HP. So its probably still 110hp steam engine. Im a boiler operater and I currently operate 1200hp at work. We need to know how many HP our boilers are for operating and licensing purposes.

Wonder how much HP it takes to operate the whistle?

That's incorrect. That's measured in elbow grease.

Used to know a trucker who was a radio amateur. He once got stopped..........while he was on the air............sending CW (Morse) with the air horns!!!

Tough crowd here today.

Thanks for the clarification.

All I've read on railroad steam engines indicates that they were rated in tractive effort, and that there were various "HP equivalences" calculated in order to recommend suitable diesel replacements.

Used to know a trucker who was a radio amateur. He once got stopped..........while he was on the air............sending CW (Morse) with the air horns!!!

Now THAT is hilarious. LOL

Tough crowd here today.

All I've read on railroad steam engines indicates that they were rated in tractive effort, and that there were various "HP equivalences" calculated in order to recommend suitable diesel replacements.

That's correct, but that's for measuring effort laid down against rail. Those steam tractors were still rated in horsepower.

Having said that, I am not sure how it was measured. Tractors are USUALLY measured against drawbar horsepower. I know that's how my 1949 Ford 8N is measured and got its 25 HP. Most all modern tractors are still rated against drawbar horsepower.

I "think" that drawbar horsepower is superior to crankshaft horsepower in terms of pulling. In other words, that 110 horsepower Case tractor would out pull one that generated 110 crankshaft (or flywheel) horsepower. I could be wrong about that, as I am not real familiar with any conversions there.

But a measured 110 horsepower at the drawbar would be like 110 horses sho nuff pullin. That's a assload of power.

Wonder how much HP it takes to operate the whistle?

All of it, of course!

Tough crowd here today.

No problem, didnt mean to come off harsh if I did.

-
Back