Head availability

-

Jarlaxle

Reaction score
After some research...I'm now very confused. For LA and Magnum...what's actually out there and available now for heads?

It looks like EngineQuest's LA318 quest might be over.

The MP aluminum Magnum heads are long gone.

Speedmaster's heads seems to be a crapshoot. (Anyone actually put serious miles on yet?)

The newest 308 is 30 years old.

After some research...I'm now very confused. For LA and Magnum...what's actually out there and available now for heads?

It looks like EngineQuest's LA318 quest might be over.

The MP aluminum Magnum heads are long gone.

Speedmaster's heads seems to be a crapshoot. (Anyone actually put serious miles on yet?)

The newest 308 is 30 years old.
Have you checked out promaxx heads or edelbrock's? I honestly don't have any knowledge of the speedmaster's, only what I've read and heard and that was complaints on the poor quality of the valve's, spring's they use. I wish that mopars had the selection of cylinder heads like the Ford and Chevy engines have.

I've heard in several places that Edelbrock quality has nose-dived. Totally unfamiliar with Promaxx.

I've heard in several places that Edelbrock quality has nose-dived. Totally unfamiliar with Promaxx.
Figures, since they moved
Figures since they moved the machining operation from the corporate headquarters

Indy makes aluminum heads, looks like bare heads are $2000+/pair. :( Full top-end kit is "only" $4700.

They offer a replacement 360 head...but it's iron and $1000/pair.

I haven’t seen anything yet that would scare me away from the Ede’s.

Imo, Whatever you buy should get looked over by someone before being installed.

I think the promaxx are a Chinese casting, but are machined in the US so will have much better quality control and hardware than the speedmaster heads.
Apart from a few pics of the rocker pedestal issue (which may have been corrected by now) I haven't seen anything that would put me off buying a bare set of speedmasters and having them checked over and assembled with a decent valve job and hardware.
As mentioned Edelbrock, Promaxx and Trickflow are all good options for assembled heads but still worth having them looked over before installing on an engine.

Ede head machining is now done at the foundry in Ca.
Manifolds are machined in Ms.

Trick Flows are great........ they’re just unobtainium these days.

Ede head machining is now done at the foundry in Ca.
Manifolds are machined in Ms.

Trick Flows are great........ they’re just unobtainium these days.
I have a few sets of TF's.

FWIW, Jegs shows a theoretical ship date for Promaxx heads (93625) as the end of May. :( Of course, the Speedmasters don't ship until mid-April. FWIW, the CNC-ported Speedmasters and the as-cast Promaxx are about the same price.

I think the promaxx are a Chinese casting, but are machined in the US so will have much better quality control and hardware than the speedmaster heads.
Apart from a few pics of the rocker pedestal issue (which may have been corrected by now) I haven't seen anything that would put me off buying a bare set of speedmasters and having them checked over and assembled with a decent valve job and hardware.
As mentioned Edelbrock, Promaxx and Trickflow are all good options for assembled heads but still worth having them looked over before installing on an engine.
I guess my question is this: If I am going to pay to have someone disassemble the new heads, then reassemble them...what's the point of buying an ASSEMBLED head?

I guess my question is this: If I am going to pay to have someone disassemble the new heads, then reassemble them...what's the point of buying an ASSEMBLED head?
Pay someone to pull apart inspect and reassemble TF’s? Ha! Pull them from the boxes, make sure they are clean, test fit your hardware, check everything, torque down, lube up and roll. The sky will not fall.

In my opinion your paying for the parts, not just because they are assembled. You could diassemble/reassemble yourself and have machine shop inspect?
That's what I would do.

-
Back