Head Bolts for Alloy Heads?

-
Pete : Had the original Edelbrocks ,witch came with one odd length head bolt. Did the heads come with a head bolt ,in each box ?
Let's start there. :)

Nope the heads came on their own.
The standard 318 heads have one longer bolt however it seems these heads will need 2x longer bolts

Nope the heads came on their own.
The standard 318 heads have one longer bolt however it seems these heads will need 2x longer bolts
Call ARP ,ask for Edelbrocks " aluminum head bolts " , would be my start off.. Pictures ,would help...

The 2x circled have higher surface whereas STD 318 heads only use one at this height.
I have a feeling the W-2 ARP kit will work but was seeking someone who has been and done it. I've also emailed the retailer I bought the heads off for their recommendation.
heads.JPG

The 2x circled have higher surface whereas STD 318 heads only use one at this height.
I have a feeling the W-2 ARP kit will work but was seeking someone who has been and done it. I've also emailed the retailer I bought the heads off for their recommendation.
View attachment 1715219718

You are correct. It takes a bolt kit without the odd length bolt for each side.

Chrysler decided to save an ounce a head and keep the bolt boss without the oil feed to it shorter. It saved money. Also, the one short bolt was cheaper.

2 ounces per engine times however many engines were produced save a ton of cash, plus the less expensive shorter bolt times 2 was a money saver.

ARP makes a kit specifically with 2 longer bolts for each side. The 'W2' kit looks like the right one; we bought those for Edelbrock Performers... and then found the extra ones in the Edelbrock boxes!

All the ARP head bolt or stud kits I've used come with washers.

Be sure to use the appropriate grease or oil on the bolts and washer and torque the correct amount for the whichever grease or oil weight you use.

Now you get to verify your rocker geometry....

-
Back