head gasket leak ?

-

drawson

Reaction score
I appears to me that my head gaskets are leaking oil, fresh build approx 1year ago, edlebrock rpm heads , used the recommended gaskets, bolt torque, and retorque per edlebrock, I am getting oil on my starter and cannot believe the valve covers are leaking as i would have oil on my headers, but can see oil on the bottom edge of the heads, anyone experience this problem ?

have u done a compression test?

oil on a LA only goes up thru the head on cam journal 2 and 4....

the rings should keep most of the oil on the cylinder walls...so no oil should be coming into the combustion chamber which would burn....

I would give a second look at the valve covers....

i got 5 set of eddy heads in use and have used 4 different types of head gasket ...never seen the heads leak oil...and then again..I have never re torqued the heads...

Oil on the starter sounds like it could be from the back of the intake. What engine?? If it's a small block it could even be from the distributor gasket.

Last edited:
Oil seepage onto the headers would burn off while running, so I would not rule out the valve cover gaskets.

Check the oil pressure gauge outlet on the top of the engine. They can do just this!

i have the exact same problem! Started when i put the eddie heads on . surface was clean and straight . followed FSM instructions on torque specs and procedure. cross checked info with install instructions from edlebrock. have chased this problem for a while now. resealed intake, distributor , valve covers. oil sending unit checked. had it running on a hoist. definitely sweating from back of driver side cyl head. always a drop on the starter when ever i check. had to run it for 3 min to see it sweat. spent way more time than that cleaning everything around it to diagnose.

Years ago when one of my W2 heads starting leaking like that I replaced that composite gasket with a cometic of same thickness. Problem gone!!!

-
Back