head gaskets

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
doing a mild perf. 318 build up, zero decked pistions, 302 casting heads. question is, what head gasket have anyone seen to hold up the best? i have a set of mopar paerformance steel core .40" compressed head gasket new in pacake, but have been told don't hold up to daily dringin and have trouble sealing for any length of time? true? or should ijust use a good compostion gasket perferably with a wire core around the cyinders. lie mp... p4120093? will have a small shot of 75-100 hp nitrious in future. any suggestions? reall concerned with the coolant sealing.... live in az gets hot here....

On a mild build, gasket sealing shouldn't be an issue.
depending on chamber volume, I'd go for the thinnest gaskets you can find. (Thinnest off the shelf that is) The 302 heads have the squish pad, so a nice thin gasket will aid the pad in generating that peak pressure turbulence which is the main draw card of the 302 heads.
I'm sure people who know more than me will chime in to recommend a specific gasket/part number etc.

I've been having good results with Mr. Gasket 5805G head gaskets.

Summit - source & info:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-5805g/overview/make/dodge

They also have their MLS line - Mr. Gasket 3210G

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-3210g/overview/make/dodge

This particular gasket has a 4.06" bore compared to the bigger 4.140" bore of the 5805G and other gaskets. It would fit the 318 bore better and reduces the chamber "dead space" between the block & head, as well as helps compression a tiny bit. But it's my understanding that the MLS gaskets require a smoother deck and head finish. Engine builders please correct me if I'm wrong.

True story on the MLS gaskets...installing them on an improperly prepped, or slightly warped surface won't allow proper sealing because they don't conform to imperfections like composite gaskets such as FP permatorques...at least that's my experience with them. But, if your surfaces are properly prepped they're great gaskets and seal up pretty well under boost or nitrous.

Locomotion is correct about the dead space perspective, but for a mild street build, neither you nor the engine will likely know a difference.

permatorque gaskets worked perfectly fine in my blown 5.0 Mustang...2+ years daily driving and "spirited driving" under 10-12 psi (depending on the density altitude).

-
Back