Head Gaskets

-

Sterling

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am wandering what anyone is using for head gaskets on a 340 with the block o-ringed. I purchased a 340 short block that was built in the late 90's, started but never ran much. Had W-2 heads on it that leaked, so a couple cylinders have stains in them. I am going to try to clean it up, check the clearances, and reassemble with new rings. Now I started working on it I see the block is O-Ringed, and wasn't told that when I got it. It was in pieces when it got dropped off. Will a 1008 Fel Pro work?

It needs to be filled with something. I'd find some regular electrical copper wire (soft) that fits in the grooves and extends a bit above the top of the grooves and make you own copper o-rings. Taper the rings ends with opposite slopes and overlap them at the ends.

The leaky W-2 heads got fixed...... now on a R-3 380 ci roller cam small block going in a street/strip Barracuda. The old O-Rings are still in the block.

The old O-Rings are still in the deck of the block. The W-2 heads got fixed...... and they are on a R-3 360 ci going in a street/strip Barracuda

20170709_184152.jpg

Has somebody been welding on the blocks deck?
Upper right of photo.

Cooper head gaskets with hoylmar.

That photo does not look like an o-ringed block.... or am I looking at that photo wrong?
It looks like it has been sleeved. Sorry if I am wrong.
Joe

That photo does not look like an o-ringed block.... or am I looking at that photo wrong?
It looks like it has been sleeved. Sorry if I am wrong.
Joe

Those are orings.

To do it correctly there should be a wire in the head and a groove in the block.

Those are orings.

To do it correctly there should be a wire in the head and a groove in the block.
From my monitor and the grainy pics it looks sleeved. My apologies. I'm used to large grooves cut in like on diesels.
Joe

No sleeves, .030 bore and o-rings in the deck. The debris on the top right of the deck is just old gasket. I didn't get to disassemble, so I got a pile of parts. Don't know what kind of gaskets were used previously . Do have a X-Block here, that also has the deck o-ringed, and that had .080 thick copper head gaskets. Thanks for the replies.

-
Back