Head milling

-

whitey

Reaction score
Got a question...
How can you tell how much has been milled off of a head. I bought mine from a reman company. After I got them I called to find out how much they take off and they could not tell me. They were not even milled flat, I had to have an additional .010 milled to get them flat. Now, I have a coolant leak on the pass side where the block, head and intake meet, right in that corner. THANK GOD IT DOESN'T LEAK INTO THE OIL!!!!!

Thanks guys!
Eric

Pull the heads and cc but even then it doesn't mean they weren't milled at an angle on some belt sander at the local carquest.
Your going to have to take them to a good shop and have them corrected, sad thing is they might want the rest of the engine to figure it out how bad it.

It sounds like not only is manifold sitting high but the angles way off.

And if you decide you can live with it with more silly cone then put a small bead across/below the intake ports keep from vac leaking in the future.

The other thing is you know that lil flat spot next to the spark plug in the chamber? thats the spot the factory would check chamber depth.
If you had some factory #'s to go by that might be of some use as to which how much chamber is left so to speak.

Also, doesn't sound like they're guarranteed to be a matched pair. Maybe one has been milled more than the other somewhere along the line.

generally from the bottom of the intake face to the valvecover face is around 2 13/16". however thats not an absolute.
to know for sure, you'll have to cc the chambers, and compare it to known stock untouched heads. from this, you
can take an educated guess as to how much the heads have been milled. not foolproof, but close enuff.

These are magnum heads that I retrofitted to an LA block. I've heard that the chambers were never consistant. Does anyone know of or heard of this.

I have had two sets of magnum heads and they both cc'd at 64 and were consistent from cylinder to cylinder to within less than a cc.

-
Back