head question about the 302's

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering what the difference was between the 302's and say a set of j's or x heads. also i am running 9.8 - 1 compresion on my car now what will the closed chambered heads do to that? what is it that everyone is so interested in with them, closed chamber?

for more info; use the search function type 302.

I have the # 302 heads on my 318, they have a small chamber,
which raises the compression compared to x or j heads,
or the stock 318 heads used for many years.

If the 302 heads are Not ported; the x or j heads flow more air.

What size engine are you running? what rpm range,
{or which cam and rear gears}.??

I am using the Mopar cam; and have the stock 2.93 gears { 3.23 someday}
P4452759 .430"/.450" lift, 260/268 duration.

http://www.geocities.com/alwest_83/318.html

Lee

well its a 360 im running the lunatti bracket master cam 292/480 and 3.55's with a 4 speed, i might try some 3.91's though.

You NEED bigger ports than the 302. The 360 port version of the 302 was the 308. With that cam and a 360 even they might become a limiting factor. Keep your eyes peeled for a complete W2 setup, or consider aftermarket aluminum heads.

What are you doing with the car? Bracket racing? Just a cruiser?

Do you ever see over 5,000 rpm's?

Keep in mind that the 308s are open chamber. They're also HARD to find without cracks between the valve seats on the chambers on the ends. I went through several, each time the machine shop calling to tell me that they were cracked, before I gave up and went to Edelbrock for heads.

I've heard of people reworking 302 heads for bigger valves.

Because my new stroker motor has a quench-top piston I went with the Eddies that have an open chamber. Summit only lists them for the 340 for some odd reason, but they'll bolt on to any small block. Otherwise, it's the closed-chamber head. Only 2cc difference according to the manufacturer. With my setup with .060" head gaskets and the KB-Silvolite 356 pistons I'll be around 9.5:1, quite a bit more than the stock 8.4:1 that the old 360 had...

-
Back