Head question

-

68 Dart

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been doing some searching everywhere but I can not find the correct answer for my question. I am looking at buying a car and the current owner of the car says he put some 440 magnum heads on the car (replaced the stock ones), the motor was from a 71 new yorker and has been rebuild. He is saying that the exhaust manifolds that were on the motor originally will not work. So I was wondering what is the difference? Is he right saying they will not work?

No difference on the head side, but the manifolds he has may not fit the car.

Hello everyone,

I have been doing some searching everywhere but I can not find the correct answer for my question. I am looking at buying a car and the current owner of the car says he put some 440 magnum heads on the car (replaced the stock ones), the motor was from a 71 new yorker and has been rebuild. He is saying that the exhaust manifolds that were on the motor originally will not work. So I was wondering what is the difference? Is he right saying they will not work?

All are pretty much the same. The more common ones are the 452, 516, 915, 906 heads.

516 came on low decks(383, 400) and are closed chamber
915 are closed chamber
452 and 906 are open chamber.
Exhaust are in the same place but several different manifolds as previous poster stated. If you are trying to put this 440 in an a-body you will need specific manifolds or headers. Headers are very pricy($500-800)..

516s never came on 400s as they were last used in 1967 and 1971 was the first year for the 400.

If it has Max Wedge heads on it......the exhaust ports on the heads are different. That's not very likely though.

Hum, well he had the original heads and exhaust on the car I am sure of it because he drove the car 1500 km with the 440 in it (been there for about 14 years). So I am not sure what he is meaning then. Also the engine is not running (no alt, battery, exhaust manifolds, carb), what is the best way to know if the engine is still good or will need a rebuild

If you can't get it running you run a compression check, but that will only tell part of the story and maybe won't tell anything. I tried it on a 440 with no carb and got nothing (on a stand, good battery and starter). The engine has run fine for over 35,000 miles (but we did do the heads a few years back - after about 30,000 miles). So, assume that the engine needs a rebuild and price accordingly.

If you can't get it running you run a compression check, but that will only tell part of the story and maybe won't tell anything. I tried it on a 440 with no carb and got nothing (on a stand, good battery and starter). The engine has run fine for over 35,000 miles (but we did do the heads a few years back - after about 30,000 miles). So, assume that the engine needs a rebuild and price accordingly.

Good advice right there.
If you assume anything, it just makes an *** out of you and me!
Plan on at least a refresh unless you know the engine and hear it run.
If it hasn't run for a few years, be very cautious.
On the other side of the coin, it might still be in good usable shape.
Go with your gut feeling.
"Magnum" heads on that year are just 906's with a heavier duty spring from the factory.
The exhaust manifolds won't work in an a body without extensive mods to the driver's side at least.
Hope this helps.
Tom.

Hum, maybe i will bring a carb and a battery and see if I can start it next time i go and see it then

-
Back