Head Studs

-

EXcappa

Reaction score
I'm looking for 1/2" - 7/16" stepped head studs to suit a 360 block with Edelbrock heads.
Is there such a thing?

Try looking at the websites or calling ARP or other fastener companies to see what they offer in their catalogue or can custom make for your need.

I'm not 100% sure but my porter is turning my heads into Bigmouth.
Its something to do with widening the port or short turn, something like that.

Like hes opening the ports large enough to get into the mounting holes?

My heads had to have the boltholes tubed since I had them PORTED heavily. I had to have 2 of my studs turned down on the lathe just enough to allow oil clearance through those 2 bolt holes.

If you buy new Edelbrocks, they actually send you 2 turned ARP bolts with the heads. I didnt use them, since i used studs, but im guessing even without tubing the holes, 1/2 inch may be a hair big for proper oiling.

If this is what you mean, I'd be happy to send you those 2 ARP bolts supplied with the heads.

Edit: here's a picture of 1
20180322_014837.jpg

Last edited:
Whoops. Just saw you're using studs. You'll have to have 2 of them turned down, just like I did.

My heads had to have the boltholes tubed since I had them PORTED heavily. I had to have 2 of my studs turned down on the lathe just enough to allow oil clearance through those 2 bolt holes.

If you buy new Edelbrocks, they actually send you 2 turned ARP bolts with the heads. I didnt use them, since i used studs, but im guessing even without tubing the holes, 1/2 inch may be a hair big for proper oiling.

If this is what you mean, I'd be happy to send you those 2 ARP bolts supplied with the heads.

Edit: here's a picture of 1View attachment 1715155965

Thanks Mike,
Yeah I'm using studs, appreciate the offer though

Edelbrocks sends you two bolts cause their heads require two of the long bolts on each head instead of one...

Oil thru the head bolt?

You are going to gain so very little, in the way of flow, by tubing the head bolt holes. And the increased chance of the rocker arm oil leaking around the sleeve and invading the intake ports isn't worth the risk.

edelbrock includes 2 long headbolts with smallblock heads because 1 intake port on each head is without the stock mopar intrusion. the edelbrock bolts and factory bolts are necked down to .450" , helps get oil to rockers. I run 18 1/2" head studs and 2 bolts for this reason. maybe there is confusion between excappa and the head guy, the big mouth porting is moving pushrods over-not porting thru head bolt passeges

You are going to gain so very little, in the way of flow, by tubing the head bolt holes. And the increased chance of the rocker arm oil leaking around the sleeve and invading the intake ports isn't worth the risk.
No problems yet, and it made 580 horses, so I can't complain. Can't see why it would leak, if it's done right.

I assume you have done this before to say we will gain very little?

edelbrock includes 2 long headbolts with smallblock heads because 1 intake port on each head is without the stock mopar intrusion. the edelbrock bolts and factory bolts are necked down to .450" , helps get oil to rockers. I run 18 1/2" head studs and 2 bolts for this reason. maybe there is confusion between excappa and the head guy, the big mouth porting is moving pushrods over-not porting thru head bolt passeges

No there is no confusion. We were doing both.
Moving the pushrods over was a decent gain but we are trying for as much possible.

I assume you have done this before to say we will gain very little?
I don't comment on things I have not personally tested, or I leave a reference to the source I am using. In this case, as no source has been listed, it's personal experience.

-
Back