Head tubing report. 80 grit flex hone report

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I don’t step all ove Early A’s Speedmaster head testing I figured I would keep this separate. I had bought a couple more flex homes from Amazon in hopes of shortening the time I have invested in tubing a set of heads. I wanted to try an 80 grit but honestly I’m still probably spending 15-20 minutes honing the two head bolt holes (easy) and the 4 pushrod holes. Whatever they use to cut these holes in leaves a very tight fit on the cut-away to end. You are probably better off taking a 3/8 sanding roll to it before honing it. The tube has to come in from the head deck side to the last thing you want is the brass tube tightening up the last 1/2 inch. Kinda sucks because I include the brass tubing and labor to install them in my porting price so you hate losing an hour on each set of heads. I’m pointing where it gets tight.

IMG_3430.jpeg

IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg

couldn't you put an adjustable reamer in a drill press to keep it straight?
neil.

Trouble is you have to do everything from the deck surface because of the way it’s machined or cast. Safety holding the head with the rocker shaft on the drill press could be asking for a major opps under drill press power. Kinda making a mountain out of a molehill here. Plans are to cut back on head porting jobs in the future and stick to more intake manifolds because of the time involved. I will not take on as many Speedmaster drop offs as I did last year for sure. Two stalled projects because of not being able to get parts really put me behind the 8 ball.

Trouble is you have to do everything from the deck surface because of the way it’s machined or cast. Safety holding the head with the rocker shaft on the drill press could be asking for a major opps under drill press power. Kinda making a mountain out of a molehill here. Plans are to cut back on head porting jobs in the future and stick to more intake manifolds because of the time involved. I will not take on as many Speedmaster drop offs as I did last year for sure. Two stalled projects because of not being able to get parts really put me behind the 8 ball.

I thought you have a seat and guide machine?

I can do tubing by hand but it’s far easier and quicker to do it in the machine.

I thought you have a seat and guide machine?

I can do tubing by hand but it’s far easier and quicker to do it in the machine.

I’m trying to cut time, not increase it. By time you set up and level each head and reset it for valve jobs how much time are you saving. Probably another time I should have just kept some ideas to myself. Plus cleanup time

I’m trying to cut time, not increase it. By time you set up and level each head and reset it for valve jobs how much time are you saving. Probably another time I should have just kept some ideas to myself. Plus cleanup time
True, if You had 3+ sets lined up and set up to do them, it'd be worth it to run 24+ holes in a row. Then go about tubing/porting/VJ's.

It wasn’t a critique. I just wondered why you didn’t use the machine.

It wouldn’t save me time and it’s a low labor job. Just would have liked to cut the time some. It’s something I really should charge for especially with the cost of the 3 sticks of brass now. I just try to keep my costs down then I get pissed at myself for putting to much time in them.

-
Back