Header gaskets that work?

-

PhillH

Reaction score
I've been trying to get the new Mr Gasket aluminum header gaskets, thought I found a set on line but they just Emailed me saying they don't have it either. What other company has thick soft gaskets that might actually stay sealed?

Remflex. They are incredible. Do not over torque. It's all I use now.

I must be doing something wrong, as I've had good luck with standard Fel-Pro exhaust manifold gaskets. Eddy heads, Thorley "D" Dart headers.

I cannot figure out why this is such a huge point of contention for people. I have always used stock exhaust manifold gaskets that are impregnated with steel. I said impregnated. ahhhuh huh huh ahhhheh heh heh.

I have never had them blow out. Ever. Not one single time. Don't soak them in water. Or horse piss. Or malt liquor. Or alien spit or any of those other stupid wives tales. Just install them as is.

Percy's work for me.

The typical leaks come from flanges that are bot flat. Take straight edge and check them an file flat if need be.

Unless you get a pair of Doug's headers like mine that leak from the inside out through bad or missing welds.....

I cannot figure out why this is such a huge point of contention for people. I have always used stock exhaust manifold gaskets that are impregnated with steel. I said impregnated. ahhhuh huh huh ahhhheh heh heh.

I have never had them blow out. Ever. Not one single time. Don't soak them in water. Or horse piss. Or malt liquor. Or alien spit or any of those other stupid wives tales. Just install them as is.

X2 on that

The thickness of header flange also has a lot to do with it!! Overtorqueing doesn't help either.

Treblig

I still have the original TTI supplied gaskets on my 360. They've been on and off several times since 1999.maybe close to 10 times. I too think the problem lies in thin flanges with sub-nice welding of the pipes to the flanges.
Maybe that's one of the reasons that the TTIs are priced seemingly way too high; cuz of all the gaskets I've never had to buy. Had I purchased cheap headers, I'd probably have had to replace them three or four times in 15 years, and the gaskets about 7 to 15 times. In the end, I'm wondering if they haven't turned out to be the most economical headers that I've ever purchased; certainly the best value.Especially if you consider/factor in, all the labor I have never had to pay for or expend personally.(shameless plug)

I use the fel pro gaskets, gotta keep your bolts tight. After you heat and cool them the first 10 times or so they are good to go. I just make it a habit to check the bolts on a fresh set of gaskets pretty regularly.

It's like stones and bearskins to lay a straight edge across the header flanges to check them. Most people just slap them on.......and get what they deserve.

I use the fel pro gaskets, gotta keep your bolts tight. After you heat and cool them the first 10 times or so they are good to go. I just make it a habit to check the bolts on a fresh set of gaskets pretty regularly.

Yup. Just like occasionally checking mag wheel lug nuts. It just "comes with the territory" yet some folks think things should bolt on and never require maintaining.

That's when I say "you shouldda bought a Hyundai"

As mentioned above the issue is usually header flanges that don't work (aren't flat or too thin) rather than gaskets.... Remflex does seem to be the gasket that will conform to ill fitting flanges the best.

I still have the original TTI supplied gaskets on my 360. They've been on and off several times since 1999.maybe close to 10 times. I too think the problem lies in thin flanges with sub-nice welding of the pipes to the flanges.
Maybe that's one of the reasons that the TTIs are priced seemingly way too high; cuz of all the gaskets I've never had to buy. Had I purchased cheap headers, I'd probably have had to replace them three or four times in 15 years, and the gaskets about 7 to 15 times. In the end, I'm wondering if they haven't turned out to be the most economical headers that I've ever purchased; certainly the best value.Especially if you consider/factor in, all the labor I have never had to pay for or expend personally.(shameless plug)

Same here goin on 12 years.

Remflex doesn't need file flattening, heat cycling OR retightening EVER.
They are also guaranteed not to leak.
I even have one busted off stud and it has still never leaked.
And oddly enough I never get the urge to drive a Hyundai because of it. :D

On manifolds (If) I had to use a gasket at all it would be the metal or composite regular old Felpro's rechecked after a heat cycle (probably wouldn't need it though.)

Back in the day,, I installed dozens, and dozens of headers on every make,, I found after 6 of the first dozen leaked at the flange,, that the flanges were absolutedly $ucked on all the manufacterers back then,, with literally gaps, and high spots on the sealing surface.. I quickly learned to run a straight edge over the flange,, and I'd weld up the valleys and flat bastard file the entire mating surface flat,, sometime take over an hour,, and a lotta sweat.
The flange itself was usually 1/4" steel and bent the first time you cinched em down.. (learned not to cinch,, just snug").. (read, if you cinch the middle 2 header bolts, it bent the flange and caused a leak between the pipes out the bottom)

Every set of headers I put on since,, ahh 1969,, I check with a straight edge,, I have to admit the newer headers with thicker flanges are better, but not always, and the cheaper ones still need dressing before install..

The thick soft gasket just make up for a shitty/untrue flange,, but I still "weld em and file em",, and seldom have a leak (usually a bad weld)..

In the trade we just can't let them go leaking,, cuz the customer'll be back bitching,, rightly so,, we didn't have the "cometic" style gskts, so we learned to repair the problem,, not try to cover it up..

hope it helps

I have never had them blow out. Ever. Not one single time. Don't soak them in water. Or horse piss. Or malt liquor. Or alien spit or any of those other stupid wives tales. Just install them as is.[/QUOTE
Whenever I get a little down I search the blogs until I find one that RRR comments about. Now I feel better. I use to make header gaskets out of tar paper soaked for 3 days in horse piss and now I find that's all wrong. Dammit!

After checking out their site I ordered the Remflex. They should fix up the crappy header flange.

Whenever I get a little down I search the blogs until I find one that RRR comments about. Now I feel better. I use to make header gaskets out of tar paper soaked for 3 days in horse piss and now I find that's all wrong. Dammit!

Stinks like when it heats up too.

-
Back