header/heat riser/choke

-

kielbasavw

Reaction score
hey guys, im new to the whole mopar slant 6 scene. i just bought my 65 valiant a week ago, and always heard some sort of exhaust leak, today i found the giant crack splitting the manifold into 2. anyways, im a fabricator, and have built headers for volkswagens, so i figured id make a set of headers for this thing. and i also want to switch to the factory double barrel intake manifold. my question is how important is the heat riser/choke piece from the exhaust manifold? im in Orange County / California. i suppose i could fab up a header that can support the choke/ and heat riser deal. this is just a daily driver for the old ball and chain. but we all know how much more efficient and fun this stuff can make.

hey guys, im new to the whole mopar slant 6 scene. i just bought my 65 valiant a week ago, and always heard some sort of exhaust leak, today i found the giant crack splitting the manifold into 2. anyways, im a fabricator, and have built headers for volkswagens, so i figured id make a set of headers for this thing. and i also want to switch to the factory double barrel intake manifold. my question is how important is the heat riser/choke piece from the exhaust manifold? im in Orange County / California. i suppose i could fab up a header that can support the choke/ and heat riser deal. this is just a daily driver for the old ball and chain. but we all know how much more efficient and fun this stuff can make.

if ur gonna upgrade manifolds (intake) u can do the Clifford with the water passages thru it. although its warm enough there in so-cal u can just get a carb with an electric choke/ or mechanical pull

forgot to that the hooker super comps have a heat riser to go to the factory intake

Dont forget the Aussie Speed Hurricane manifolds now have Heat provisions as well.

You will be fine with headers on all but the coldest days. If you use the factory super six manifold and NEED heat I sell a box that will take water from the heater and it can be epoxied on to the bottom.
Frank

your gonna want manifold heat even in socal. i run hot water on my super six with headers here in vegas, i woulndt do without it on the street. it helps fuel atomization at low speeds, and thus it helps feul economy. here is what i did with 1/2 plate:
top pic: plates with fittings, get water from the heater circut
second pic: notice i opened it up a little bit where the water is coming in on the bottom
third pic: pieces bolted in place, water goes in the bottom and out the top
last pic: still figuring tranny lnkage, this is close to what i ended up with

Attachments

• Pieces 008.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 644
  • Pieces 003.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 669
  • Pieces 009.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 671
  • Pieces 013.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 672
your gonna want manifold heat even in socal. i run hot water on my super six with headers here in vegas, i woulndt do without it on the street. it helps fuel atomization at low speeds, and thus it helps feul economy. here is what i did with 1/2 plate:
top pic: plates with fittings, get water from the heater circut
second pic: notice i opened it up a little bit where the water is coming in on the bottom
third pic: pieces bolted in place, water goes in the bottom and out the top
last pic: still figuring tranny lnkage, this is close to what i ended up with

hey, do you have any pics of it installed? and also, where do you splice into the water supply? I was thinking of doing something similar, but I'm wondering how the extra heater hosing affects the engine bay....

here is what i did with 1/2 plate

Now that is a beautiful piece of work! :cheers:

your gonna want manifold heat even in socal.

True and correct. A lot of guys think the manifold heat is nothing but a cold-weather assist. That's wrong. Fact is, it is greatly beneficial no matter what the weather or climate. This 1935 Jam Handy cartoon would be a real trip to watch even if it didn't contain a sequence (which it does, at 5:37) specifically and correctly answering the question about the manifold heat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_bFo2mg9Ss"]Down the Gasoline Trail (1935)[/ame]

Below a certain temperature, gasoline is a liquid. Liquid fuel does not burn. Only vapor burns. The latent heat of vaporization of gasoline works to cool down the intake manifold even as engine heat works to warm it up. The debate is whether it's necessary to apply heat to the intake manifold. There are opinions "yes" and "no", and there are varying levels of understanding of how the system works and why it's there, and the right answer also depends on the engine configuration and vehicle purpose. I don't mind saying I have a very complete and accurate understanding of how and why the system is there, and my opinion is that on a street-driven vehicle in any climate with a non-race engine, an intake heat system should be in place and working correctly for best driveability, performance, and fuel economy. On a street-driven vehicle, intake manifold heat only makes things better, not worse.

Now that is a beautiful piece of work! :cheers:

True and correct. A lot of guys think the manifold heat is nothing but a cold-weather assist. That's wrong. Fact is, it is greatly beneficial no matter what the weather or climate. This 1935 Jam Handy cartoon would be a real trip to watch even if it didn't contain a sequence (which it does, at 5:37) specifically and correctly answering the question about the manifold heat.

Down the Gasoline Trail (1935)

Below a certain temperature, gasoline is a liquid. Liquid fuel does not burn. Only vapor burns. The latent heat of vaporization of gasoline works to cool down the intake manifold even as engine heat works to warm it up. The debate is whether it's necessary to apply heat to the intake manifold. There are opinions "yes" and "no", and there are varying levels of understanding of how the system works and why it's there, and the right answer also depends on the engine configuration and vehicle purpose. I don't mind saying I have a very complete and accurate understanding of how and why the system is there, and my opinion is that on a street-driven vehicle in any climate with a non-race engine, an intake heat system should be in place and working correctly for best driveability, performance, and fuel economy. On a street-driven vehicle, intake manifold heat only makes things better, not worse.
Interesting you should post this dan. Just recently my best friend's dad showed that to us when I was at his body shop.

-
Back