Header installation

-

TheTecher

Evan the jeeper.
Reaction score
Whats the best way to install headers when the motor is already in? Top or bottom?

Thanks
E

You didn't say what headers. I would almost bet it will be easier from the bottom. Make sure you jack it up high enough to clear the headers from the floor. I would also remove as much as possible to help the install.

from under the car, put the car on tall and stable jackstands
install passanger side first sometimes they slide right in other times you will have to lift the engine alitle.
driversside is where it gets alitle more frustrating, uninstall starter,take apart steering centerlink, unbolt driverside enginemount and tilt engine over towards passangerside as far as you can get it slip header up into that tiny space there is,usualy #1primary pointing at a ridiculus angle upwards behind steeringbox with collector pointing down and alitle in under oilpan when tubes are going up tilt collector up closer to possition, get out from under the car and hold header up in a possition close to right while lovering engine into possition, with engine in place on its mounts again, reinstall starter while you can still move driverside header around alitle,this realy helps, get up again and bolt headers to cylinderhed after that reinstall centerlink and you are bassicly done..
it sounds harder than it realy is just do it all in the right order and they usualy slide right in :)

i may have forgoten something here but this is the basic way of doing and i have done it many times on my car with simmilardesign headers in the past it and its not all that bad,just takes alitle time and patience

and take out the sparkplugs first it helps if i remember it right

hope it helps alitle

Duster 340 is dead on. Just remember to give yourself a full day to do it, and if you get frustrated , just walk away for a little while, grab a cold beverage, & take 10 long slow deep breaths. no sense getting all worked up, they WILL go in eventually.

hypermite gave the best advice right there walking away and taking a cold one if it fights you clears your mind in a good way:)

also dont count on finding the right angle of attack at first try,there is a way to get them in there but it usualy takes abit of thinking and wiggling and movement in all directions at the same time to get them in there ;)

-
Back