header/manifold question

-

welderboy

Reaction score
Attempting a 5.7 install in my '70 Dart, using a 2005 truck engine/545 trans and an RMS front suspension - not looking for maximum HP, so don't know if I should consider headers or stick with stock manifolds? Truck manifolds look ok clearance wise, are car manifolds any better?
Thx!

car manifolds will not fit.. SRT jeep manifolds are the best OEM . that should fit. but i do not know first hand.

You can make a stock car manifold (not SRT header, the plain cast one) fit with some work on the passenger frame rail. You have to scallop out a chunk and weld in a filler panel (look for posts from GDemon, I know he used them), but if you want an easier fit I think the stock truck manifolds have the most useable outlet position. TTIs are a moderately tight fit, but designed for the car so it's a little less work to get the rest of the exhaust system figured out.

Thanks guys - that's enough info for me. I have the truck manifolds on it now and don't want to change my mind after fabricating the x member, frame connectors and other crap!

I have no clearance issues, frame or otherwise. Using 05 Jeep on pass side and 06 Charger drivers side. On a 73 Duster. Bought both brand new online for 55 each.

I don't believe the truck manifolds work. I believe that the truck manifolds have the outlet pointing nearly straight back. This would put the Manifold into the firewall.

Hot rod had an article about it, they used a 5.7L Jeep Manifold.

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/hrdp_0706_hemi_swap/photo_11.html

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Couldn't remember if it was the truck or Jeep ones that pointed down, I think you're right. You may still be able to snake a 90 degree turn at the back of the manifolds with truck ones, but if the manifold does it for you that seems like the path of less pain.

-
Back