Header/Oil Filter Issues.....

-

dewsky

1975 Duster 360
Reaction score
Ok Guys.....see if you can help me a bit.....I just installed a set of Hedmen Headers that are pretty Old....they are a slip fit set from the 70's and are 1 5/8 tubes that look to be very nice. I have just the right side on at the moment on my 318 in my 75 Scamp and now I cannot install an oil filter on the girl.
I know that they sell 90 degree offset filter adapters, but it appears that even this will not fit in that tight little area. What I'm wanting to know, can you folks tell me if it will fit, or do I need to go with an "external" oil filter system?
At this point I'm not sure which way to go, or to just remove the headers and put the old exhaust manifolds back on.

DEWSKY

The 90 deg. oil filter adapter will clear any header built. No remote oil filter needed.

I guess I'll take some pictures of it tonight, and post them, because my Hedman Headers point TOWARDS that oil filter, not foward of it. All four tubes are running back that way and I dont see any way a 90 degree adapter is going to get a filter in there.

These headers are more like the TTI headers than anything else I've seen out there. If that helps any.

Ok Guys....here ya go....three photos of the area I'm talking about. I know, I know...the block shouldn't be GREEN....But it does look pretty cool that color!!!

Header one.jpg

Header two.jpg

Header three.jpg

where is the filter now? it looks like it might still fit with a 90* adaptor but you may need to turn it to an unatual position (which should be ok anyway)

Outlaw....that's why I'm asking....I am wanting to make sure it will fit there. The aftermarket 90 adapter is double the price of a remote dual oil filter setup. THat's why I"m asking, which do you think would be better.....?

Bob
DEWSKY

I don't know what you use for a filter but there is three lengths of filters that have been spec's on these engines. The FRAM PH-16 or your favorite equivalent brand is the shortest and looks like it might fit.

I think I'd just put on the remote kit and get the extra oil capacity/filter capacity.

That looks REAL close....a lot closer than mine.

Well....I tried to put a filter under there....couldn't even work it under the header......but that was the regular sized filter....Have not tried a shorty one yet. BUT, I do like the idea of having the remote filters where I want them and the idea of having extra capacity. Now for that crazy question....Which one to buy....LOL.

Bob
DEWSKY

sorry i didnt catch the option on which way to go ...i always option for the one that has the most capacity

Hi All,

I have some headers on my 318 in my 69 Barracuda that I bought from a guy that used to drag race Mopar's (Friend of a neighbor), so I'm not sure about who made them. Could be Hedman. Anyway, I use a short oil filter Fram PH-43 or the Purolator equivalent 1058 - I think. The shorter oil filter works OK - but it is tight. I have to put the oil filter down beside the engine from the top, rest it on the headers, and then go under the car to screw on the filter and tighten it up. It works for now until I can get a remote oil filter kit and install it. Also, the torsion bar is also in the way, so I've got to almost be an acrobat/cortorsionist to change it, but I have gotten it down so it doesn't take all that long.

Its OK...I can't put a remote oil filter kit on my car due to the headers until I get the 90 degree adapter, because the lines for the filter relocate kit would hit the headers.

like that green color! never seen any headers that close to an oilfilter before..

Now all you guys know why I'm asking. I installed the left side header tonight, and it went in pretty smooth (once I figured out to drop the drag link and then to route the back pipe arount the torsion bar). The headers fit like a glove, and I'm tickled to have them, but I'm pretty sure I"m going to have to go with a remote filter setup. I'm just glad that the Milodon pan didn't get in the way.

Bob
DEWSKY

-
Back