Header options for a 64 valiant

-

slantsixness

Reaction score
What are my header options for a 64 valiant? I have seen the street rod stuff from clifford but I was wondering what else is out there?

There are some manifolds called Dutra Duals. These are a 2 piece design. You can use a front Dutra Dual and a modified stock manifold for the rear or use dual Dutra Duals. I've used Clifford headers but they are a pain because the the flange on the header is thinner than the intake manifold, so some sort of washer/spacer needs to be made or you will have constant exhaust leaks. Check out Dougs site for more info. http://www.dutra.org/doug/doug-sl6-exhaust/dutra-duals.htm
Check out www.slantsix.org for more info too.

I think Doug is out of stock right now. But the foundry is working on it. I took that from a post over at dot org. Also Clifford longs for early A bodies and Hooker 3 into 1 longs. Both of these are no longer made but can be found. Custom headers are an option.
There are other manifolds and headers out there but I have No experience with them.
My02
Frank

Cliffords make the best headers for the /6 period.

Bolted this set on,and havent touched them since.

The flange is very thick.No spacers no nothing.

Picture 264.jpg

Thanks for the picture but I just do not like the look of the shorties. There is a guy that runs at my home track with a couple of slant six cars. The 62valiant he runs has a set on them and if I can not come up with a better option then I might go that route. He has a set of split headers but he wont sell them.

this is an ebay header i picked up for my 63 valiant. AN old clifford long tube 1 5/8" header.
header2.jpg
Should look real slick powder coated!

this is an ebay header i picked up for my 63 valiant. AN old clifford long tube 1 5/8" header.
header2.jpg
Should look real slick powder coated!

Nice find8)

That looks really close to the split set I saw except they were not attached at the bottom. The 6 pipe doesnt look quite right either.

Oh yeah dont powder coat them it wont stay when you crank the cart up.

That looks really close to the split set I saw except they were not attached at the bottom. The 6 pipe doesnt look quite right either.

Oh yeah dont powder coat them it wont stay when you crank the cart up.

Daaa!!8)

Actually, some of the new high temp powders WILL stay intact, and even stay looking gorgeous, for a long time.

This one was done in "PerformaChrome." They also have OEM / factory type finishes available.

This is the best set-up that I have seen for a /6..

Of course, it is for a Japanese Slant 6. Sorry, I could not help myself.

BestExhaust.jpg

P6041685.jpg

Actually, some of the new high temp powders WILL stay intact, and even stay looking gorgeous, for a long time.

This one was done in "PerformaChrome." They also have OEM / factory type finishes available.

I believe that is a liquid coating not a powder...here is what is says about it.

A truly unique coating that is based on a water/solvent system, it may be applied to a variety of surfaces and metals such as exhaust system components, brackets, valve covers, hinges, grills, suspension parts or any metal part that can withstand the 500° F cure temperatures. It polishes to a high luster, stainless/chrome appearance that will not rust, and is especially effective as a hard protective coating for aluminum parts.

I had someone coat the eastwood exhaust powder on my stock manifold and it burned off. The powder guy even told me it would but was willing to try it.

What are my header options for a 64 valiant? I have seen the street rod stuff from clifford but I was wondering what else is out there?

The only "off the shelf" header available new for a 64 Valiant, is the Clifford shorty (street rod style). These will only fit with the 225 or 198 high block engines. They will not fit with the 170 low block, without modifying them.

It would be nice, if someone would produce some long tube headers for the early "A" bodies with either the high or low block engines, and/or any header for the low block 170.

Same here Charrie_S!!!
I am hoping some one can get'er dun:cheers:

Slantsixness, I'm not sure what you read from but the "PerformaChrome" finish I was referring to (and will soon be doing myself once all the details are worked out) was developed by Performance Coatings out of Georgia. This is a blurb from their press release ...
Performance Coatings is pleased to offer our new metallic-ceramic coating for headers and exhaust components. It offers many benefits, such as corrosion and thermal protection. This coating also offers increased performance by lowering under-hood temperature. Our coating can greatly extend service life and improve appearance ... in three great looking colors: Performance Chrome, Cast-Iron Grey, and Stealth Black.

Nowhere in anything I've read about the process -- or in discussions with the company's owner -- did it say a word about the finish being a liquid. Please PM me with more info about the company you read about. I like to keep my options open :)

I just google search the coating name and read the first website. I think it was called performance coatings.... I found the company in ga you listed and called them. I asked if they had an exhaust powder coating and the guy that answered the phone laughed. He told me they did not make a powder coating that could hold up to the heat of the xhaust. He did say they had a ceramic(sp) called perfomachrome but it was a liquid coating that would stick and not burn off. ????

charlie s - thanks for the info guess i will just stick to the stock manifold for now.

hey crazy dave, I haven't seen a CBX in YEARS! cool bikes.... and I love your eye for interior decorating!!! ok I'm done highjacking this post, sorry :)

-
Back