header paint

-

iceman

Reaction score
Has anyone had good success painting headers? I am getting hooker headers for my 67 barracuda and do not want to pay the high price for coated headers. If so what paint did you use and did you use a primer first?

napa sells hi-temp primer and paint for headers

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 004.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 151
No primer unless its rsted as high as the paint its basing! Wallymart BBQ paint, or i had great results with UHT ceramic white, but with most header paints, you need to paint them and instalk them as fast as you xsn so you xsn run them to cure the paint per instructions. Otherwise you just get silver psint thst cones off on ypur hands ad soon as you touch em. F'n tablet keyboard, im not this bad of a speller!

Never thought about bbq paint...thanks for the tip.

If they are bare you could try coating them with gear oil and then burning it off with a torch or map gas hand held torch. I painted a mini bike pipe with hi temp paint and it came right off. Then read about guys doing this to there exhaust manifold and it holds up and looks good dark charcol color. Tried it out and it looks great with nothing to burn off. Don't laugh!!

I know it's a sticker shock but the best bet is to get a good set and have them them coated inside and out; I.E. NitroPlate, Q.C. coatings, local vendor etc ; they stay cooler and don't rust up. BBQ paint burns off too. How many times do you want to pull the engine to freshen up a paint job?

I glass beaded my entire exhaust manifold, then painted it per the instructions on the VHT header paint can. You dust coat it about 3 times, then put in the oven at 150 for twenty minutes, then 200 at twenty minutes, then 300 etc... etc... and it works good. I did it the wrong way initially right over a rusty manifold and it fell right off. If it's clean it adheres great. I'm going on 6 months with the VHT blue. Holds up fine. There's instuctions on how to run it on the car to heat it up properly. I think you let it idle for a half hour or something.

See? manifold still blue. No rust either.

I hear what you are saying but need to save where I can for the next project...69 gtx

Glad to here that works, I have been on their site and it sounded good.

Yeah, you just definitly need to make sure they are clean, otherwise you can bake it correctly and it still falls off.

I painted my headers with Rustoleum grill paint and it has lasted pretty well tho I do touch it up once a year with an airbrush

I always wondered if wood stove paint would hold up the best. Forrest Paint Company makes Stove Brite paint that almost all stove manufacturers use.

-
Back