header question

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
hey everyone. well here is the latest. i was installing my new clifford headers/ offenhauser intake. i noticed on two of the tabs the intake stuck out further than the header. i pulled it all apart and reinstalled everything and they are still like that. thats not a big deal i could just file the intake some to make it flush. the big problem i have is on rear header, the flange is not the same thickness on both ends. one end is 1/2 inch and the other end is almost 1/32 thinner. it is thinner in the middle of the head where the intakes center bolt. in this spot the header doesnt get colted on the op, only the bottom, and im not getting a seal on the gasket. i can get a small feeler gauge between the header and gasket. is there a better gasket i can use that will take up this gap? or some tricks to installing these headers. if not i guess i can take it to a machine shop and have them flatten it out. any tips would be great. i hope this makes sense.

P3081954.jpg

P3081955.jpg

here is where my header isn't sealing against the gasket. this problem is on the rear header. and the other picture shows where the intake is sticking out more than the header. that is on the front header.

P3081954.jpg

One of the tricks dealing with headers is to use two gaskets.

There are some "Better" gaskets coming out of Australia for the slant now, but I haven't tried them yet.

CJ

thanks guys. it looks like remflex makes one. are they as good as they say? the gasket that came with my headers is a real thick paper one, but it didnt seem to crush down at all when i torqued the bolts to 10 foot pounds.

Both the Aussie and Remflex gaskets work great. Ive used both with no problems. The Remflex is softer and I think more street friendly. I think the Aussie works better for the race engines or any boosted or NO2 install.
Frank

sounds good. the local speed shop by me carries remflex. i will probably have to order the slant six gasket but thats fine. i may still take the header down to a machine shop and fix the surface as well. it cant hurt.

To save yourself future headaches, take them off and have the machine shop grind them flat. I see you haven't installed them in your car yet, so it should be an easy fix. Just my opinion.

I bought the remflex for mine because of the squish factor, but my exhaust was too warped to stay sealed. It held for a month but as the manifolds heat cycled it pushed one of the ends out because I had to torque the crap out of it to get it to seal. Moral of the story: If you are going to spend $45 on a gasket, true up the manifolds. OR Do it right the first time
I'm actually using the stock type fel-pro with high temp RTV (copper) silicone, but only after doing it twice and truing up the surface (sealed 9 months and counting)

Oh, Beautiful motor by the way :cheers:

hey guys. i called up cliffordperformance this morning to tell them that my flange is warped. they told me to take it to a machine shop. i wanted to make sure i called them so that if i did have it machined and it didnt work, i can still return them. so i took them to the machine shop. the guy there said they are pretty f'd up but he will see what he can do. he is worried of taking too much off and cutting where the tubes are welded to the flange. why cant anything just be an easy bolt on procedure. ugh! and why does it seem like no one takes enough pride in their product to make sure they dont send out crap. thats all for now.

hey guys. i called up cliffordperformance this morning to tell them that my flange is warped. they told me to take it to a machine shop. i wanted to make sure i called them so that if i did have it machined and it didnt work, i can still return them. so i took them to the machine shop. the guy there said they are pretty f'd up but he will see what he can do. he is worried of taking too much off and cutting where the tubes are welded to the flange. why cant anything just be an easy bolt on procedure. ugh! and why does it seem like no one takes enough pride in their product to make sure they dont send out crap. thats all for now.

I personally am not happy with Clifford right now. The quality control is less than desired. They also act like they are right and you don't know what you are talking about.

I don't have anything helpful to contribute to your thread, but I wanted to tell you that your engine looks great! That's the nicest slant I've seen in a long time.

if you dropped full coin on those, i wouldn't be happy with the fix it yourself solution.

oh believe me im not happy. almost 400 dollars for some warped headers. i just want to get it done. but i do want it right. i know how clifford is to deal with as far as customer service goes. but if the machine shop cant fix them i will demand they send me a new set next day air maybe even request ceramic coated. fat chance though. i'm just trying to stay positve. i have alot of time to think about it since im not working right now.

F Clifford!!! Their customer service dep should all have their asses kicked! Ive talked to them twice and got pissed off both times.

SlantScamp, Sorry to get off topic, but what paint did you use for your engine? Does it have some sort of clear coat?

its just vht engine enamel. i think it was called bright red. no clear coat or anything. it does take a few coats to get good coverage though.

Well, got a little scoop about Clifford......it seems as when Jack passed away( a few years ago?), some kinda drama happened with the original tooling and they were forced to take the blueprints and make new jigs and they are NOT coming out as precise as before.

360scamp...dont get me started on their customer service, talk about not believing what I was telling them about their carb adapter and header....

-
Back