Header size and Brand

-

ronw

Reaction score
I have a 540 stroker(440) in a 68 dart, the headers installed now have very little clearance on #5 and 6 cycl to install a plug and wire end. The header tube on these exit through the fender well. I want to use ceramic ends to protect the plug wire but don't have the room. They are 2" headers, is this the correct size for the engine? Is there a brand header that has more clearance for the plugs and wire ends?

Since I am planning a similar installation I just happen to have researched this issue. From what everyone has told me Tubing Technologies Inc. (TTI) is the only answer. 2 5/8 step headers.

I am not smart enough to attach a link yet!

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/MoparClassics-Headers/400IB-218/TTi400IB-218.htm

Figgered it out!
I'm would think that bigger than 2" would be best. Have u thot about aftermarket angle plug heads? I have enough room on the plug ends w/ tti 2" and my victor knock off heads.

I was planning on the CNC Stealth heads from 440 source. I would call TH I if you have questions. Talking to the serious folks at both Ohio and PA shows tell me they ate the only way to go. Coatings, no hammer installations and such.

I am new to Molar so I ask a lot of questions!

I'm would think that bigger than 2" would be best. Have u thot about aftermarket angle plug heads? I have enough room on the plug ends w/ tti 2" and my victor knock off heads.
I forgot to mention that the block has Indy heads that have Max Wedge ports. My Dart is manual steering and has a Winters cable shifter.

Have you looked into the heat sleeves for plug wires? I ran them on my small block and never had an issue even if the rested against the header.

Have you looked into the heat sleeves for plug wires? I ran them on my small block and never had an issue even if the rested against the header.

the main problem is not enough room to use a regular spark plug. Even with a shorty plug the plug wire is against the header.

With "Pipemax" its pretty easy to ballpark the tubing sizes - especially for a 4 into 1.
I can tell you from experimenting with it that rpm of interest is a big factor, as is cam and volumetric efficiency. The more efficient the engine, the smaller tubing needed. The higher rpm, the larger tubing needed.

Or, you can go by Calvin Elston's guidelines:
What tube size off the head?

If you go with a size that matches the port, or is a little smaller, then two points that may not be in that particular post.
a) Make sure the top and then the sides, do not hang down into the exhaust port.
b) Step up the tubing size 8" to 14" out.
If the primaries off the heads are already larger than needed, having a step up may not gain much if anything. It might even slow the low rpm exhaust velocity down even more.

-
Back