Header studs or bolts?

-

70SwingerGuy

Reaction score
So Im putting in a new set of TTI long tube headers, and have had people recommending to put studs all around in place of the bolts. Those of you with headers, whats your thoughts on this? Bolts vs studs? I have aluminum heads so anti-seize on whatever I use will be a good idea Im sure. Also, for the end holes that go through the water jackets, whats a good recommendation for a thread sealant? There are so many out there, its good to hear what has actually worked well for people.

aluminum heads so anti-seize on whatever I use will be a good idea Im sure. Also, for the end holes that go through the water jackets
Studs.
My Trick Flow’s end holes aren’t open to the water jackets. What brand of aluminum heads do you have?

Studs are going to have issues, but so do bolts. I see no advantages. My tti's have different head sizes for 3 or 4 locations. Bolts and studs aren't expensive, see which works best for you.

On my small block stuff in the past, I've left the factory studs in the front and rear holes in the factory iron heads. Those hit water. The other holes, bolts. Because of twists and bends in the tube, bolts work better. Even on the al-u-minium heads, if you stud the front and back, they can hold the header and gasket while you start the other bolts.

Ive had good luck with these on my TTi longtube 318/340
12 HEADER BOLT 5/16"-18x1 mr gasket

If you are installing by yourself, maybe use a stud in the front, so you can secure the first hole. Then use bolts the rest of the way back and you can pivot off the front to get easy alignment.

Studs.
My Trick Flow’s end holes aren’t open to the water jackets. What brand of aluminum heads do you have?
Edelbrock Performer heads, could these maybe be blind holes and I wont have to worry about water jackets? I didnt install the heads myself, thats why I dont know.

Last edited:
Studs can have the advantage of more thread engagement in the head. A good idea with alum heads, reduces the chances of a stripped thread.

I try and use studs where I can, but it's not always possible with the bend in the header tube. For locations like these I've started using the header bolts that use a 3/8" wrench so I can get the wrench on better.

-
Back