header-transmission line clearance issue.

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
I seem to have hit a snag in my quest for the reassembly of ny truck. One of my transmission lines is about an inch away and I cant finagle it much further away. The other is about 3" away. I am about to do cam break-in and I wanna make sure I dont turn my transmission into french toast. Could I do some kind of header wrap ariund the header and the lines and it keep me in the green? I might be able to get the other one a little more room than the inch it has. maybe anither ich or so. but I am still worried about frying my 727 up

I do this on my cars, and suppose you could do the same just as easy on a truck. I go to the parts house and buy some 5/16 steel gas line in 5' lengths, and run it up the drivers side frame rail. In my cars, I use a bulkhead fitting to get it thru the radiator support, and then make shorter steel lines to get to the transmission cooler. I use a stack plate cooler that has threaded fittings instead of hose bibs. I get 2 steel braided flex lines made to go from the transmission fittings over to the lines on the frame rail. No flex lines there would = cracked lines. The fittings you will need and getting steel braided lines made will run the price up a little, but to me it's worth it to get the lines over there out of harms way. If you have a place near you that makes hydraulic hoses for backhoes and stuff, they can make the flex lines and hook you up with fittings. Just an idea, hope it helps. :glasses7:

I have no clue of my fitting sizes. but that is brilliant! Im just wondering if wrapping my headers will cut down heat enough that I will be okay. Id wrap both the vibes and the header

Buy some of the 1200* heat shield. It comes in a package, I got mine at NAPA. Wrap the line with it, you can cut it to fit.

Second option, NAPA also sells a high heat repair type tubing, it's a little pricey but it works well (some sort of silicon). My starter lead was very close to my header so I put a piece of that stuff over the cable and the heat has not bothered it one bit. You can't burn that stuff with oxy/acetalyne torches, I tried. Personally I would use this. Slice it length wise and put it over the line and secure it.

Buy some of the 1200* heat shield. It comes in a package, I got mine at NAPA. Wrap the line with it, you can cut it to fit.

Second option, NAPA also sells a high heat repair type tubing, it's a little pricey but it works well (some sort of silicon). My starter lead was very close to my header so I put a piece of that stuff over the cable and the heat has not bothered it one bit. You can't burn that stuff with oxy/acetalyne torches, I tried. Personally I would use this. Slice it length wise and put it over the line and secure it.

that sounds like the ticked right there! I do also need to wrap my starter leads! :cheers: would you think some Lava header wrap would help in the heat department??

-
Back