Headers & 90 degree oil filter

-

couper 340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I hear guy saying that they don't need the 90 degree oil filter adapter when they uses headers , they just use a short filter.
Well the hole reason for the adapter is so you don't cook your oil , it is used to keep the oil temp down . When you come out with out the adapter your oil filter is about 1'' from you red hot pipe is like putting a blow torch on your filter . Just something to think about next time you hear some one telling you it ok to do this . Remember heat robs horsepower .

What's worse?

Alleged warmer oil or a poor flowing, restrictive 90* adapter?

If the pipe is red hot at the filter area... you got bigger issues than the oil temp!

I'll take the short filter and dump the 90* adapter EVERY time. IMO, it's BS as the oil is moving at a pretty brisk pace to pick any radiant heat. Not like it's sitting in the bottom of a pot, not circulating. Blow torch??? Really???? Not even remotely comparative.

The 90* adapter was designed for filter clearance with the swept back 68-70 340 pass side exhaust manifolds. Without it you have to remove the headpipes every time you change the filter. It had nothing to do with keeping oil cool.

Above.... The 90 degree,is a pain in the butt,period. If you look down the 90 degree adapter, you will see oil flow restrictions everywhere. Tossed it,shorter filter,life got better.

If these were so bad than why did direct connection and mopar performance both remake them and sell them . Also to the person who said that the oil flows by the header pipe to fast to pick up any heat how do you think a transmission cooler works in reverse. I do want to agree there is some restriction but never heard of any one blowing a engine over it or i think mopar would of stopped using it before 1970 and don't think dc mp would have sold it , this 90 can also be made to flow vere good by just drilling two more holes in the bolt for a total of 6 or even 8 hole witch is the same area as you oil filter center hole and you can drill or clean out the casting were the bolt go through and to the filter.the only restriction after that is the flow rate of the oil filter your using. Also to end these 90 degree filter units are use even to day on some model mopar v 6 and 4 cylinder car that turn 6000 rpm with no problem . Look at old post about this i see people going both way so to each there own . Thanks to every one for there opinion.

Your way overthinking it.... It wont make a damn bit of difference if you run either type. Both can leak. Neither will harm your engine.

Above.... The 90 degree,is a pain in the butt,period. If you look down the 90 degree adapter, you will see oil flow restrictions everywhere. Tossed it,shorter filter,life got better.

If you look into the block they are worse there.

I did a port job my adapter before putting it on.

I like having a bigger filter myself

Your premise about a blowtorch and heat is not correct. Your reason they were designed is DEFINITELY not correct. I always enjoy extreme fear style statements that aren't based on fact. Do you have any clear testing that shows this "blowtorch" effect?

Maybe take a thermometer and see just how blowtorch hot the header is that far away from the exhaust port. Wouldn't as hot as a blowtorch require the header to be cherry red hot? Most of my torches don't work well at most anything that far from the port.

Mountains out of mole hills comes to mind.

Your car, do what you like. I'll pass on those POS 90* adapters every chance I get.

Have a great day.

try getting a full size filter OUT of a Hooker Supercomp header equipped Narrow A body! It doesnt fit! RElocate to fender or run a shorty, no other option. Porting a 90 is a waste of time, oil is not flowing that fast. Ever seen the inside of an Auto trans? or what the pressurized oil has to get through to get back to the pan? It just bleeds out of Very small ports, its not like a firehose.

So the Duster 340 would normally run a PH43 oil filter. What is the equivalent "short" filter. Many are talking about running a short filter, but I can't find a listing for the correct one.

I'm sure this will cause a up roar, but I run the small oil filter from a turbo charged PT cruiser. It fits all mopar V8 engines and gives lots of clearance.Most of us change oil often so the small size does the job.

I use a WIX 51335 shorty filter with my 340 manifolds. I have to loosen the head pipe to change the filter as was stated. But no 90* adapter to leak. I use brass nuts on the head pipe,
it makes it easy to loosen.
The shorty filter flows 7-9 gallons a minute so not really a restriction there.

I use Wix 51085 filters on all my Mopars. It is a short type filter. NAPA 1085 is the same thing.

I would like to lose my 90*, is there some kind of plate that goes on block after the 90* is gone!

thanks Jeff

The 90* adapter I believe is crap. I took mine off. Just because engineers come up with something doesn't mean it's always right. Heck they do things on modern cars that aren't always correct. It will not hurt your engine if you leave it off.

Been using the straight filter right off of the block for DECADES now and hundreds of thousands of miles driven. No problem....

90° adapters have more potential leak paths and do leak eventually more than the straight plate.

Only a small percentage of the oil passes
through the filter at any one time.
Although it would be nice if no heat was
transferred to the oil through the filter,
it is only a small amount and not detrimental
to the oil or the ability of the cooling system to
transfer the heat away.

If it is a concern, you could run a remote filtering system
that is away from that heat source and might possibly
do a better job of filtering the oil.

If you are parked idling, maybe. Driving even at 40, where do you think the exhaust heat goes as air flows under and through the engine compartment? Just sayin...

The oil filter adapter was designed for use with the early 340 manifolds. Without the adapter you won't be able to use the 68 - 70 manifolds. I never had a problem with either systems.

One thing I can tell you is the larger the filter the better it flows. WIX or NAPA gold are the only filters that do not fail and should always be used. I have seen Fram filters fail on engine dynos. Start cutting them apart and take a look at some after oil changes.

If running a remote filter always mount it with the canister down. Keeps the filter full when the engine is not running and stops dirty oil from flowing back to the motor.

When using a oil cooler. mount it with the fittings on the side . Feed the bottom and exit the top. Uses the whole cooler this way and never gets air trapped.

The original poster stated about less heat with the 90 he is correct. Headers do get cherry red while cruising. almost to the bottom bend. Mount a camera you will be surprised. Or just hold the throttle at half in the dark and take a look.

Attachments

• DSCN1686.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN1687.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 234
-
Back