Headers, cut the flanges or not??

-

412 Stroker

Reaction score
I have an original set of Black Jack Alumacoat headers, have had them since 1982, when I built the stroker last year, the machine shop used a surface grinder and squared the flanges, I used mr gasket header gaskets, they leak, BIG TIME my engine sounds like a sewing machine, did some reading on this in here and bought Remflex gaskets, I dont want to do this again so should I cut the flanges or not?? the remflex guy said he's never heard of anyone doing that so he says his gaskets will seal WITHOUT cutting the flanges. so what do you guys think??

i never cut a set of flanges. i have had simalar problems before. i started using some good gaskets ( not paper ) and high temp permatex on the flanges and letting it skim over before assembling & tightening the headers. it solved my leaks. a friend of mine ( big circle track guy)
told me to just use the permatex thats what they all did.

DONT CUT THEM
Just use the remflex gaskets and you will be a happy camper!!

Agree with DJV. Resurfacing the flanges just makes them thinner and more prone to warpage. Remflex gaskets are great! I'm running a set on the flanges and collectors.

All I use is the back hi temp permatex never a leak.but thwre are lots of guys that cut them because they are warped or just bemt.it makes it a little easy to work each tube.

If you cut them off, let me know. I have a set of 3 bolt weld on flanges you can have.

I had a set of fenderwell, could not for the life of me to get them sealed, always used good gaskets, they were warped in the center so we could not get them to draw in, cut the flanges and have never had a leak again, just doubled them up and put a set of locking bolts on them, they work great.

If you cut them off, let me know. I have a set of 3 bolt weld on flanges you can have.

Oops! Sorry, I thought you were referring to the collector gaskets. On an old set you might want to cut the flanges.

3 votes FOR cutting and 3 for NOT cutting, hmmm, thanks for all your replys, still mulling it over, the headers are comming off tonite so I guess I'll decide then.

If you're talking about the header to head flange, you can cut that between the three sections. Some older brands of headers used that design and there's nothing wrong with it. I've even heated and bent the center flange between the ports to get more pressure accross the center. Whatever you have to do, just don't overtighten them, and re-torque after they've been run (heated) and allowed to cool a few times.

-
Back