headers/exaust

-

1970PAValiant

master of the break down
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a nice cheap pair of headers for my stock 318, I saw the ones on summit and was wondering if I'm going to have to remove my power steering box to get them in. my other problem I have is would they limit me to getting my oil filter there? also what size of pipe do I need for it? someone said 2.5" would be best but is that too big? any help would be great

I'm trying to find a nice cheap pair of headers for my stock 318, I saw the ones on summit and was wondering if I'm going to have to remove my power steering box to get them in. my other problem I have is would they limit me to getting my oil filter there? also what size of pipe do I need for it? someone said 2.5" would be best but is that too big? any help would be great
You won,t have to remove your p.steering box,but will have to drop your centerlink(draglink)to get the driverside on.Oilfilter shouldn,t be an issue.You can run 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch exhaust,whichever you prefer.The 2 1/2 inch will be louder.Good luck!

I just put the Jegs brand (I'm sure it is the same as Summits) in my stock 68 Barracuda 318/auto/ps. I just have done the drivers side. You have to pull the center link off the pitman arm and separate the center link from the inside tie rod end on that side. You have to pull the starter and get the whole car at least 1 1/2 feet off the ground. Then pull the motor mount nut off that side and jack on the pan as far as the motor will move. It needs to lift about 2 inches rocking the motor to the passenger side and up. Then the header goes in from the bottom and it's tight. I finally got it really close and had to give it a little extra pressure from a 2nd jack and it slipped in. It looks like it fits really well, maybe some contact in the steering coupler so either a shim under the motor mount or a slight dent needed there. I'm really pleased and it took about 1 1/2 hours to do that side. The other side looks like a peice of cake but I'll do that this weekend.

PS. I also pulled the front 2 plugs because it looked like the header was going to hit them as it slid up in.

-
Back